Chevy Tri Five Forum banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
1,036 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I drove the speedo with the drill, it moved but was jumpy. Put in a new speedo gear in the tranny (blue) and a new speedo cable, the one with the red plastic speedo side end, 69".

Worked jumpily for about 5 miles then needle jumped and fell to 0, dead as a doornail. Pulled speedo end of cable and the red plastic square was broken off nearly at the bottom. Put an indicator alligator clip with masking tape flag in there and the tranny is driving the cable fine.

Looks like its time to rebuild or replace the speedo, must be really sticky. I will pull it and then decide on repair or replace. Any thoughts - I went up under the dash and there just seems to be a flare end on the back of the speedo, no bushing and nothing to turn.

·
Registered
1,745 Posts
I drove the speedo with the drill, it moved but was jumpy. Put in a new speedo gear in the tranny (blue) and a new speedo cable, the one with the red plastic speedo side end, 69".

Worked jumpily for about 5 miles then needle jumped and fell to 0, dead as a doornail. Pulled speedo end of cable and the red plastic square was broken off nearly at the bottom. Put an indicator alligator clip with masking tape flag in there and the tranny is driving the cable fine.

Looks like its time to rebuild or replace the speedo, must be really sticky. I will pull it and then decide on repair or replace. Any thoughts - I went up under the dash and there just seems to be a flare end on the back of the speedo, no bushing and nothing to turn.
Sounds like you have experienced what most of us have with these speedo's. It needs to be lubed. The complete how to is in a sticky on the top of the page. It's really very easy and does not take long in fact the hardest part is removing the cluster/speedo. Do that and you should be all set! :anim_25:

http://www.chevytalk.org/fusionbb/fbbuploads/1320200988-Speedometer_Repair.pdf

·
Registered
1,036 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Yeah, and since I intend to rebuild my steering mast innards at least it went before I did that. Now I get to do it all at once. Is it possible the odometer can get frozen too?

Since I blew my brand new "red tip" speedo cable, maybe I'll just pick up a generic cable from napa or somewhere similar - my old one was metal cable all the way.

·
Administrator
66,194 Posts
Anything is possible but unlikely. The speedo head just needs lube.

If you decide to zero in the numbers you have to be extremely careful as they can rub off, then you will have to put the after market stickers in.

·
Registered
1,036 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I don't think this is even the original odometer - so only heaven knows what the actual miileage is anyway. I'll look at the odo when I take it out, if I want to zero I'll get a new odometer.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts