Chevy Tri Five Forum banner
1 - 20 of 114 Posts

·
Premium Member
11,901 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Found a 57' pickup the other day. Went to see it and it sounds interesting. No engine but it does have a rebuilt 350 tranny and disc brakes on the front. Even has two new quarter panels that need replacing. I do have a 283 on my engine stand that I could try to get running.

I could have it for less than $2k. I know Jim will think I'm crazy but what do you think?

Don

·
Registered
27,726 Posts
57 truck

Looks like a good truck. You can always get in running and turn it . Who knows you may like it. Mike

·
Administrator
66,151 Posts
Do you have the room & can you put it on the lift :)

That would be a great project to keep your self tinkering over the winter months :anim_25:

Now you know what normally happens, as soon as you buy it you`ll find other hidden treasures that would second guess you.

·
Registered
5,144 Posts
Nice truck Don.I love the '57 grille.:tu:tu:tu
Less than two grand sounds like a steal to me.
Get it before it's gone.:)

Doug

·
Registered
3,061 Posts
Don.......that's a no-brainer in my opinion....seriously. Jump on it before it's gone especially since you have a 283 to drop in it. On this side of the border, for that price, guys would be all over that in a heartbeat.

·
Banned
8,304 Posts
I`m liking it..........I`m liking it a whole lot.Keep it or flip it or better yet ship it to me.(post purchase).:tu

·
Premium Member
11,901 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Do you have the room & can you put it on the lift :)

That would be a great project to keep your self tinkering over the winter months :anim_25:

Now you know what normally happens, as soon as you buy it you`ll find other hidden treasures that would second guess you.
Hey Angelo! I didn't have room for the other 57' but I kept it outside for two years. :) I have had my neighbor's 58' Apache on my lift so I know it will fit.
Of course my 57' isn't done yet either, but it probably never will be.

Don

·
Registered
1,026 Posts
Okay Don are you seriously asking this question? You know were a bunch of car guys and what your answer will be.....:sign0020:

·
Registered
5,305 Posts
If that truck was in my neck of the woods at that price, it would of ended in my garage very quick !! :vroam:

·
Registered
6,486 Posts
Don this Jim thinks it's a great idea. I'm starting to look for a retirement project, again, and that is one of my considerations.
Jim

·
Premium Member
13,609 Posts
Don, I feel for ya and completely understand the reasoning. But, this is from my own experience...We used to live in the country and had 5 acres, so tons of space for the "good deals". When we moved back into town I had to give most of it away/take it to the dump to get rid of it=lost money.

When the dust settled I had 3 blown apart cars in garage, 5 other project cars outside, plus two of our drivers (only ones that ran). I finally came to my senses and sold out...almost everything. It was so bad I couldn't do anything around here, in other words 'seized up'. I got down to ONE project car.

Since then I've forced myself to put ALL of my time, monies, and energy into trying to finish one, just one car, I'm finding that having just one is more than enough.

Moral? It's SO very easy to fall into the 'collection trap', so hard to get out of. The good deals tend to steal your resources and space from the one they should be applied to.
Dan

·
Premium Member
11,901 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
OK guys! I just confirmed the purchase verbally and will give him half the money tonight and the other half when I can get a tow truck over there to pick it up. It is registered "non-op" which makes things easier in Calif. I won't have to have the vin certified in that case and can just do a straight transfer.

He states "Front disc brakes on the factory I beam axle". Does that sound right to you?

He also has a lot of new parts from Jim's Chevrolet in Rancho Cordova that he is giving me with the truck.

By the way. I got it for less than the $2k. Thanks for all the encouragement. I'm sure my wife will want to thank all of you too! :sign0020:

Don

·
Premium Member
14,045 Posts
congrats, should be a fun project

1 - 20 of 114 Posts