Chevy Tri Five Forum banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
747 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
So today i finally took my '57 to the dyno to see how much power the "oldschool" 1960's era built 327 would do.

just some info for those that dont remember
327 bored .030 over to a 331
64cc 1.94/1.60 valve double hump fuelie heads. polished valves.
Elgin cam 453 lift 284 duration
aluminum intake with a nice mini highrise to it.
1.6 roller rocker arms
3/4 length headers.
balanced and blueprinted
still running points ignition. even NOS spark plugs from a 1966 tune up kit can just to add to the nostalgia factor haha.

the numbers were as follows
349HP flywheel 295 actual wheel HP. and this is the best part!

430 FT/LBS of torque to the engine!!! from a 327 i think that's impressive. the actual torque to the wheels was 399.2 ft/llbs of torque.

let off at around 5000 RPMS started each pull around 2k to 2200RPM's anything less and the car would bog down due to the engine loading up.

not bad for old technology eh? for those of you who told me i'd barely make it over 300HP

·
Registered
257 Posts
that'll make it run!!
Those are some good numbers! Also thanks for using the long pedal on the right and checking its full potential.

·
Registered
6,144 Posts
Hopefully didnt strain the engine! I had my old engine dynoed and it sounded and looked like it was going to explode! Shortly after it developed a rear main seal leak...hope yours stays sound! Great HP stats!
Johnny

·
Registered
67,707 Posts
nice going. :tu

·
Registered
412 Posts
IIRC I guessed 325-350 HP on an engine dyno,... so you exceeded my expectations! But I think that was when you were still running exhaust manifolds so I'm not far off. That torque # is truly impressive though, and I could see broken parts in the drive lines future if I was the driver :sign0020:

·
Registered
747 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
IIRC I guessed 325-350 HP on an engine dyno,... so you exceeded my expectations! But I think that was when you were still running exhaust manifolds so I'm not far off. That torque # is truly impressive though, and I could see broken parts in the drive lines future if I was the driver :sign0020:
I've already gone through a set of spider gears at the track haha. almost went through the second set taking off at a light got a little bit too much wheel hop.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts