Chevy Tri Five Forum banner
1 - 20 of 37 Posts

·
Premium Member
7,740 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
So Randy (randy57) was surfing Craigs list , and found a raditor for my 57 and emailed the info to me. So i called the guy up and asked him how much he wanted for the set up since he had it listed as "Make me a offer"

Turns out this guy was running it in his 57 Chevy with A/C and a B.B., but wanted the Mattsons chrome drop in unit with the new chrome cross bar and the huge aluminium raditor and A/C condenser.

So here is what i purchased.......i will call it THE MONSTER RADIATOR!!!

It is hard to tell from the pic, but the raditor has four one inch wide rows, and they are staggered so the cooling affect is much better as the air flows threw the raditor, as you can see the top tank is HUGE......

So the set up came with a A/C condenser, Electric fan, chrome over flow tank, Chrome filler panels (my favorite :)) and a modified 57 Chevy raditor support bar that bolts into the stock location.

So wright about know you are probabley wondering how much i paid, or should i say STOLE this set up for? would you believe the guy said give me 150 dollars and it is your's, needles to say i told him it was SOLD :elefant:, and then INSTANTLY got on the phone with Randy and asked him if he would not mind picking it up for me so it would not disappear on me since the guy lived in Tracy and he would be going threw there on his way to the swap meet anyway?

Of course Randy being the AWESOME guy/friend he is, never batted a eye and picked up the unit for me and gave it to me at the Sac swap meet today :tu

So i am thinking i can safely say this MONSTER set up should keep my bone stock 350 running cold with icicles hanging for the raditor :)

So this Sunday after HAN's, i plan too start on this install, of course i will have to evacuate my A/C again for the 4th time to install this set up and remove my condenser UGHHH!! but life goes on.

So my plans are to run the fabbed cross bar with the MONSRTER raditor, and the chrome panels. I like the looks of my A/C condenser, plus the hard lines will not work with the condenser that is already mounted to the unit, the hard lines hook up in different angles.

But here is were my dilemma starts.... I am not even sure if my aluminium fan shroud will fit around this MONSTER raditor, so i am thinking of ditching the fan shroud, and my mechanical clutch fan, and just leaving the electric puller fan on there as is, and running it. I know the ideal situation is to have a fan shroud with the electric fan mounted in it like Randy's new SPAL set up, but i think the raditor is so huge i will not have any issues keeping it cool like it is already set up. Plus then i will not need to install a pusher fan for the A/C condenser. The electric fan which looks like it is brand new is a V.A. 16" but i cannot find any C.F.M. rating's on it any were, it looks almost identical to the one Randy just gave me to mount in front my my A/C condenser which is rated for 3300 C.F.M.'s. I will look later on tonight for the part # on the fan and see if i can go to V.A.'s webb site and find the C.F.M. ratings for that fan.

I was also thinking of sticking the sending unit to turn the fan off & on in the bottom of the raditor. My new wiring harness already has a relay built into the fuse box to run a electric fan set up, so besides purchasing a sending unit, i should be good to go....

So what do you guys think!!!

Keep my mechanical fan and shroud , or go fully electric and see if it will work for my little OLE' 350?

Rick

·
Premium Member
7,740 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
it looks like the radiator support mounting holes are turned the wrong way?
you had me worried there for a minute :sign0020:

I went out and looked at my support bar compared to his, and they are the same. I think what might be throwing you off is that he had too trim or remove a 5/8 thick section of the support bar at the top to move the raditor back towards the motor because the bottom tank is so much bigger and wider than the stock raditor that it was hitting the bottom of the splash pan before he could get the radiator to sit flush against the bottom of the support.

Rick

·
Premium Member
7,740 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
I'm just glad to hear you and Ed got home OK Rick.

Don
Thanks Don!!!

I must admit it had to be one of the nicest trips i had driving the 57 back home from Sacramento with the cold A/C blowing in my face.....just that trip alone has made it all worth while for the troubles and money i have spent on this system....

Good to see you as always Don, and thanks for the donuts, we will be seeing you again for the Stockton show.....:shakehands:

Rick

·
Premium Member
488 Posts
Rick, I think CHP will be knocking on your door and arrest you for grand theft for that buy. Good deal thanks to Randy. Hope its an easy install for you. Of course it should be with your hard knocks training! Ron

·
Premium Member
7,740 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Rick, I think CHP will be knocking on your door and arrest you for grand theft for that buy. Good deal thanks to Randy. Hope its an easy install for you. Of course it should be with your hard knocks training! Ron
I kept looking in the rear view mirror all the way home for red & blue lights Ron :sign0020:

Hey Rick, that thing would keep Mean Green cool. You will have to carry cardboard to block off half of it to get up to running temperature.:sign0020:
That's what i was thinking John, i might have to install a 210* thermostat to even get heat out of the heater.....

glad you are back on line buddy

Rick

·
Premium Member
5,625 Posts
Hmmm
So Randy (randy57) was surfing Craigs list , and found a raditor for my 57 and emailed the info to me. So i called the guy up and asked him how much he wanted for the set up since he had it listed as "Make me a offer"

Turns out this guy was running it in his 57 Chevy with A/C and a B.B., but wanted the Mattsons chrome drop in unit with the new chrome cross bar and the huge aluminium raditor and A/C condenser.

So here is what i purchased.......i will call it THE MONSTER RADIATOR!!!

It is hard to tell from the pic, but the raditor has four one inch wide rows, and they are staggered so the cooling affect is much better as the air flows threw the raditor, as you can see the top tank is HUGE......

So the set up came with a A/C condenser, Electric fan, chrome over flow tank, Chrome filler panels (my favorite :)) and a modified 57 Chevy raditor support bar that bolts into the stock location.

So wright about know you are probabley wondering how much i paid, or should i say STOLE this set up for? would you believe the guy said give me 150 dollars and it is your's, needles to say i told him it was SOLD :elefant:, and then INSTANTLY got on the phone with Randy and asked him if he would not mind picking it up for me so it would not disappear on me since the guy lived in Tracy and he would be going threw there on his way to the swap meet anyway?

Of course Randy being the AWESOME guy/friend he is, never batted a eye and picked up the unit for me and gave it to me at the Sac swap meet today :tu

So i am thinking i can safely say this MONSTER set up should keep my bone stock 350 running cold with icicles hanging for the raditor :)

So this Sunday after HAN's, i plan too start on this install, of course i will have to evacuate my A/C again for the 4th time to install this set up and remove my condenser UGHHH!! but life goes on.

So my plans are to run the fabbed cross bar with the MONSRTER raditor, and the chrome panels. I like the looks of my A/C condenser, plus the hard lines will not work with the condenser that is already mounted to the unit, the hard lines hook up in different angles.

But here is were my dilemma starts.... I am not even sure if my aluminium fan shroud will fit around this MONSTER raditor, so i am thinking of ditching the fan shroud, and my mechanical clutch fan, and just leaving the electric puller fan on there as is, and running it. I know the ideal situation is to have a fan shroud with the electric fan mounted in it like Randy's new SPAL set up, but i think the raditor is so huge i will not have any issues keeping it cool like it is already set up. Plus then i will not need to install a pusher fan for the A/C condenser. The electric fan which looks like it is brand new is a V.A. 16" but i cannot find any C.F.M. rating's on it any were, it looks almost identical to the one Randy just gave me to mount in front my my A/C condenser which is rated for 3300 C.F.M.'s. I will look later on tonight for the part # on the fan and see if i can go to V.A.'s webb site and find the C.F.M. ratings for that fan.

I was also thinking of sticking the sending unit to turn the fan off & on in the bottom of the raditor. My new wiring harness already has a relay built into the fuse box to run a electric fan set up, so besides purchasing a sending unit, i should be good to go....

So what do you guys think!!!

Keep my mechanical fan and shroud , or go fully electric and see if it will work for my little OLE' 350?

Rick
Hmmm...mixed feelings. Its a gamble and since you asked me I would never run any radiator without a full shroud with a puller fan, especially with AC.

·
Trifive Facebook Admin
10,574 Posts
Hmmm

Hmmm...mixed feelings. Its a gamble and since you asked me I would never run any radiator without a full shroud with a puller fan, especially with AC.
Rick I think its worth the risk to run it the way Mark had it, supposedly it cooled his big block just fine as it sits. If you find its not working perfectly then you can go back and add the shroud or go back to the mechanical set up with your current shroud.

I think this is the fan you got with it Rick. Remember they rate the fans going through a radiator, not just what they pull in open air.

·
Administrator
66,133 Posts
Do you hear the helicopter circling above :)

That size should cool with just a normal mechanical set up, since you have the electric fan mounted no harm in trying it, make sure you connect it to turn the right way :congrats:

·
Premium Member
7,740 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Rick I think its worth the risk to run it the way Mark had it, supposedly it cooled his big block just fine as it sits. If you find its not working perfectly then you can go back and add the shroud or go back to the mechanical set up with your current shroud.

I think this is the fan you got with it Rick. Remember they rate the fans going through a radiator, not just what they pull in open air.
It sounds like you are thinking along the same terms as me Randy, run it like it is set up, and if for some reason it does not keep the motor cool, i will pick up the phone and have SPAL design me a shroud for the electric fan....

So what temp sending unit are you running for your new SAPL set up, 200* to kick the fan on and 180*'s to kick the fan off?

Hey Rick, I have to agree with Randy - if it cools down a Big Block set up I think it will be sufficient for what you have, and by the way you got a great deal, even if you used it as a wall hanger next to your 57 dash

:sign0020: that was a good one Dean...WALL ART.....:sign0020:

i would be afraid that thing is so big it would bring my garage wall down if i tried to hang it .....:sign0020:

Rick

·
Premium Member
1,879 Posts
Dang Rick, yes, one heck of a deal...if it all works out. If it doesn't, you're the one that got robbed!

I too, would vote for ditching the mechanical fan and going with the more modern electric fan.

·
Trifive Facebook Admin
10,574 Posts
did i miss it, or what? let me ask ya, what engine, bored, thermostat, pump, radiator, fan, etc???
This all started a few weeks or so ago in a different thread about air conditioning. This is part two of the conversation so you didn't miss it in this thread.

1 - 20 of 37 Posts