Chevy Tri Five Forum banner
1 - 20 of 26 Posts

·
Registered
2,117 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I bought my 55 from a car flipper a few years back, and it was primered. He said was solid car, just put a motor/trans and I would have a driver. It was my first tri5 and I didn't make a good buy. I found TONS of heavy bondo in bad places when I got the car home and really dug in to her. It was obvious he intentionally mis-represented the car and had done a lot of bad things with bondo. With my lack of due diligence I chalked it up to a learning experience on my part, and have vowed to resurrect this car. I've been mad at that guy for a few years as I replace numerous rusted areas that he intentionally covered up with bondo... Always I often wondered what I would say to him if I ever saw him...
Well, seems he has found me on Facebook and sent me a friend request...
I think I will just blow it off, but I tell ya, this guy has some nerve. And YES he did the bondo cover up. The car was in fresh primer when I bought it and he said it was good to go. There is no doubt he intentionally mis-represented the car.

·
Registered
557 Posts
wow! That would chap me too! My cars PO made no bone that he did a shabby purple paint job and NO body work. I was obvious because he painted right over and into rust holes. Halarious but at least I could see how much rust the car had.

But your boy has goot some soul searching to do!:sign0020:

·
Registered
549 Posts
Well it looks like you have an opportunity to do what many people wish they could!

However, why don't you just politely tell him that you were very disappointed with the difference between the appearance and reality, and tell him how much work and $$$ you have had to spend to fix what he did.

You never know, he may not have any idea how stupid the things he does are, or may not even think about the actual people he is trying to rip off.

You may not change his ways, but at the very worst, you can just unfriend him!

·
Registered
4,552 Posts
Well you could friend him and then post on his account about what a shyster he is and all his Facebook friends could see it. But I would just let it go and not accept his request,

·
Registered
2,117 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 · (Edited)
Here is some of his fine work I found under the trim and primer.. Both sides were this bad. I am finishing this repair this weekend with a new A pillar section I have welded in .

·
Registered
37,290 Posts
Why be friends with anyone on Facebook unless they are a relative or a real friend who you have regular contact with? Especially someone who's done you wrong. Better to just ignore them.

I've never understood the concept of posting everything about your life to strangers or those nearly so. Apparently some people do this.

There is a "friends" deal on this site also but I've never been able to make it work - and I thought by being here we're "friends" anyway? What advantage does this have relative to posting on the public forum or communicating via pm? I think it's a whole world I don't live in or want to.

No hard feeling to those who've submitted a friendship request. It's me not you.

·
Registered
2,117 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Rick, I understand. I was late to Facebook, but have enjoyed it. I have family in 3 states and friends that I grew up with in another 4 or 5 states. I was able to re-connect with friends from grade school that I lost track of when my parents moved us to Texas when i was a young boy. I keep my friends list to those types of people. I AVOID people I work with and see on a regular basis. It's nice to share with my extended family and keep in touch on a more frequent basis.

·
Registered
27,726 Posts
Ya you vented and probably feel better now. You are the bigger person for as you stated "blow it off" Good man . Move on. Mike

·
Premium Member
15,575 Posts
I think i would tell him to pound sand down a rat hole. You can't do shoddy work like that and not "know". He is a con man that you don't need to friend or anything else. I wouldn't give him the satisfaction of a reply.

7,082 Posts
Ya you vented and probably feel better now. You are the bigger person for as you stated "blow it off" Good man . Move on. Mike
Must agree. He is an idiot who evidently does not know any better and you can not change him. Take the high road and look through the windshield, not the small rear view mirror. :congrats: :bowtier:

Not as good a man as you, would have had to have told him what he did to me. Not good.

·
Registered
2,117 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Yeah, he's in the rearview. It just chapped my hide that he thought I would friend him...It actually motivates me to get this old gal "right"...Here's a pic of the drivers side that I fixed...Passenger side is almost done as well..

·
Premium Member
3,703 Posts
Your the better person by just letting it go even though It would feel real good to expose What he is. He might have really thought he did a good job, No wait, Strike that last remark. Any way Good luck with your car It will turn out great.
:anim_25:

·
Registered
11,214 Posts
Yeah, he's in the rearview. It just chapped my hide that he thought I would friend him...It actually motivates me to get this old gal "right"...Here's a pic of the drivers side that I fixed...Passenger side is almost done as well..
That's ugly!

·
Registered
3,426 Posts
My only hesitation on jumping on the flipper is he may not be the actual one doing the dirty work. He might just buy a car and take it to a painter and they do this shoddy work for him. Probably best to just ignore him.
You are doing a good job and you will be very proud of your car when you are done:tu

·
Registered
67,783 Posts
how do you know he knew about the problems? :confused0006:

·
Registered
2,117 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
how do you know he knew about the problems? :confused0006:
Because he said they just finished the body work and sprayed the primer. He said drop a motor/trans and paint it when you get around to it.
I'm not dodging my blame. I am COMPLETELY at fault for buying this car without doing a better job of due diligence. I'm just peeved that he thinks his misrepresentation of the car is ok. That's no way to do business.
Again, this is ALL my fault for buying this car. I learned a bad lesson. Guess that's why I've been working so hard to correct the problems rather than cutting my losses and moving on.
Here is a pic of the car from when it was advertised for sale, looks pretty darn good.

·
Registered
3,511 Posts
Very interesting situation to be in for sure. I don't know how I would react. I might ask him who did all the body work. Yes, maybe he did do this intentionally...and maybe this work was done by someone else, and he just "polished up" to flip...and as someone here noted, maybe he just doesn't know any better...but why lose sleep over it?

The car is lucky to have found you, and I'm sure once done, she will be a beauty, so just look forward to what lays ahead! :)

·
Registered
27,726 Posts
Your Car

Because he said they just finished the body work and sprayed the primer. He said drop a motor/trans and paint it when you get around to it.
I'm not dodging my blame. I am COMPLETELY at fault for buying this car without doing a better job of due diligence. I'm just peeved that he thinks his misrepresentation of the car is ok. That's no way to do business.
Again, this is ALL my fault for buying this car. I learned a bad lesson. Guess that's why I've been working so hard to correct the problems rather than cutting my losses and moving on.
Here is a pic of the car from when it was advertised for sale, looks pretty darn good.
I think it looks like a pretty darn good 55 from the photo. At least you found out the bondo covered up the rust before you painted it. $$$$ . Mike

·
Registered
2,117 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 · (Edited)
and maybe this work was done by someone else, and he just "polished up" to flip...and as someone here noted, maybe he just doesn't know any better...

The car is lucky to have found you, and I'm sure once done, she will be a beauty, so just look forward to what lays ahead! :)
Again, I have NO DOUBT the he was involved in the body work based on my discussions with him. And he does know better. I won't post his name or web site here , but this fella deals in a lot of used muscle cars. some high end (or so they appear) and I am guessing, some more like mine. He probably has 4-10 cars for sale at any one time. He has 10 listed today on his site.In looking at the cars he has listed on his site as sold, there are several in the same black primer. I wonder what those owners found when they dug in to their cars?
I apologize for what is a bit of a rant. Again, this is all my fault. I just am off kilter because he thinks all is good and wants to engage in a social relationship.
Thanks for listening everyone. You have now seen the poster child for the phrase "never buy a car in primer"...

·
Registered
346 Posts
Given that this guy does this professionally, he's probably continuing to hurt people. Which makes his "friend" request all the more bizarre.
There should be a facebook for people who have been scammed, where you could hook up with others this guy ripped off and throw him a virtual molotov party.
If he is a thief, it might be worth calling the police in his area, they often know about this sort of thing. Even if they can't arrest him for anything now, they don't generally want thieves (or scammers) operating on their watch, and might gather information and keep an eye on him. And it might reduce his ability to rip off others in the future.

1 - 20 of 26 Posts