1 - 20 of 61 Posts

·
Premium Member
13,118 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·

·
Registered
67,066 Posts
went by a lumber yard today, a lot less inventory then normal (that's a supplier). sad times, but things are getting better.

·
Administrator
65,344 Posts
This is happening everywhere, the cost in purchasing land on its own is becoming unaffordable and the lot sizes are a lot smaller

·
Registered
2,834 Posts
Oh boy, another load of C--- to put on our overloaded plate!

·
Registered
2,699 Posts
My 24 year old daughter, who single, has been looking to purchase a house. Anything that she can afford is simply non habitable. Every time another run down house comes on the market, I think there is no way they can sell that for the asking price and less than a week later it is under contract. I have built several houses myself over the years and said I won’t do it again after completing the one I am in now. I may have to do one more for my daughter if that’s the only way she can get in. I thought about advising her to wait, logic says lumber prices will come down eventually, but that’s no guarantee. The one positive is that interest rates are somewhat off setting the increased prices.

·
Premium Member
13,118 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Oh boy, another load of C--- to put on our overloaded plate!
Not sure the meaning of your post but if you haven’t seen the rising costs you must live in a very special place. Seems like everywhere else is sure noticing it.

Gas here for regular was about 3.25, then in one week is 4.12 now, and it’s not topped yet. I read lots of lame explanations, but where does this stop? Also think about how tough it’s always been for a young guy to buy his first house. I’d sure hate to be in that position now. Add to that rising power, cable, garbage, and water costs and it becomes even more unreachable for the average young dude.

I’m not much into the blame game because it doesn’t help. All I know is that this crap has got to stop before it ruins every one of us, young and old.

·
Registered
1,023 Posts
Lumber prices are going to start to decline beginning of third quarter. Raw log prices are set to drop by $25-40 per thousand board foot on Monday.

·
Registered
36,799 Posts
My 24 year old daughter, who single, has been looking to purchase a house. Anything that she can afford is simply non habitable. Every time another run down house comes on the market, I think there is no way they can sell that for the asking price and less than a week later it is under contract.
I know prices are up, but traditionally the ability to buy a house has been out of reach economically for single people in their early 20s ever since I was that age, and that's been a long time. So it's time for patience for her, and your hopes for her.

·
Registered
20 Posts
Much of this depends on where you live. I'm in Los Angeles, and God help young home-buyers here. My wife works for the county, so it makes sense to stay though. How people are willing to live matters too. Multiple generations under one roof can help and should be embraced by young and old alike. ...on the brighter side, I guess this means the value of my 55 Delray is going up too? Lol. Only if you believe that a rising tide lifts all boats.

·
Registered
995 Posts
I looked at my corporate bonds portfolio and my Weyerhaeuser corporate bonds are paying 6.950% annual yield. Weyerhaeuser is the 800 lb gorilla in the timber business, and they are paying off. They have been sitting on millions of acres of timber land for the past ten years while the trees grow bigger. One would think the price of lumber should go down instead of up.

·
Registered
2,834 Posts
Not sure the meaning of your post but if you haven’t seen the rising costs you must live in a very special place. Seems like everywhere else is sure noticing it.

Gas here for regular was about 3.25, then in one week is 4.12 now, and it’s not topped yet. I read lots of lame explanations, but where does this stop? Also think about how tough it’s always been for a young guy to buy his first house. I’d sure hate to be in that position now. Add to that rising power, cable, garbage, and water costs and it becomes even more unreachable for the average young dude.

I’m not much into the blame game because it doesn’t help. All I know is that this crap has got to stop before it ruins every one of us, young and old.
I thought the meaning of my post was rather obvious, but I will explain it to you. Lately it seems like there is always a need to keep the public afraid or excited/agitated about something or other..."the sky is falling". We already have a full plate with the virus and all. Housing/land/gas/food prices will always rise, hasn't stopped in my lifetime (75 years). And to answer your question, I do live in a very special place, filled up my car the other day...$2.89 gal.

·
Registered
Cocke County, TN. 55 Bel Air Sport Coupe
8,179 Posts
My 24 year old daughter, who single, has been looking to purchase a house. Anything that she can afford is simply non habitable. Every time another run down house comes on the market, I think there is no way they can sell that for the asking price and less than a week later it is under contract. I have built several houses myself over the years and said I won’t do it again after completing the one I am in now. I may have to do one more for my daughter if that’s the only way she can get in. I thought about advising her to wait, logic says lumber prices will come down eventually, but that’s no guarantee. The one positive is that interest rates are somewhat off setting the increased prices.
Just the thought of a single person buying a house at age 24 seems out of this world and I know it was 35 years ago also. And in the middle of a housing bubble? What does one expect?

·
Registered
1,605 Posts
I understand what your saying Nad I see it every day. Prices are going up in all aspects of our lives in a way as never seen before. There’s an old story about frogs in a pot of water the water starts getting warm if you stay in to long your going to get boiled.

·
Registered
1,023 Posts
I looked at my corporate bonds portfolio and my Weyerhaeuser corporate bonds are paying 6.950% annual yield. Weyerhaeuser is the 800 lb gorilla in the timber business, and they are paying off. They have been sitting on millions of acres of timber land for the past ten years while the trees grow bigger. One would think the price of lumber should go down instead of up.
I do about 30 million board feet annually and am on the ground daily. Weyerhaeuser has not been sitting on land idle at all. In fact due to the wildfires of 2020 they have increased their cut 400% due to salvage operations and that will end late '21/early '22. They lost tens of thousands of acres both in mature timber but also 1-30 year old timber. It is going to hurt for quite awhile.

·
Registered
2,699 Posts
I know prices are up, but traditionally the ability to buy a house has been out of reach economically for single people in their early 20s ever since I was that age, and that's been a long time. So it's time for patience for her, and your hopes for her.
Just the thought of a single person buying a house at age 24 seems out of this world and I know it was 35 years ago also. And in the middle of a housing bubble? What does one expect?
I live in what used to be a very rural part of Virginia. For years, real estate was was very reasonable. Even compared to other parts of our state and the rest of the country. I bought my first home 32 years ago when I was 23 and single. I could never had done this if I had lived in norther Virginia. In recent years the tide has changed and that is no longer the case. The median household income in our area has not come close to keeping pace with the rising cost of living. How I long for that bygone era.

1 - 20 of 61 Posts