Chevy Tri Five Forum banner

41 - 60 of 81 Posts

·
Registered
997 Posts
Today's Mantra: Location, location, location.
Ya gotta pay the price of admission if you want to live in California.

·
Registered
2,699 Posts
All those who are leaving CA, they can sell at those prices and move almost anywhere else and live like a king.

·
Registered
111 Posts
The prices in Canada, northern B.C. to be specific have sky rocketed also. Lumber cost is ridiculous and housing has gone way up also. Most times property sales are a bidding war ending alot higher than the asking price. I feel for the younger folks that want to get into ownership rather than renting. Rental market is beyond what most can afford and still eat also.

·
Premium Member
13,125 Posts
Discussion Starter · #45 ·
The prices in Canada, northern B.C. to be specific have sky rocketed also. Lumber cost is ridiculous and housing has gone way up also. Most times property sales are a bidding war ending alot higher than the asking price. I feel for the younger folks that want to get into ownership rather than renting. Rental market is beyond what most can afford and still eat also.
Many rentals around my place are priced higher than my mortgage. I don’t know how anyone can afford that.

To try to build here with lumber, cost after cost, local govt ridiculous fees on top of fees, and on and on makes that option even harder to manage too.

It is harder than ever to try to start out now, and I thought it was bad when I first did! And now it’s even hard for most just to maintain with nose just above water line, and lately it’s getting worse by the day with every single cost rising by the second.

Somethings going to happen, just not sure how it’s all going to work out.

·
Registered
7,849 Posts
Where I live, even though it's country, I call it the bedroom community to NYC. With the pandemic, many NYC people fled their area and came to my county. With them, they seem to have brought unlimited finances. What they did was create a bidding war, not a selling market. I've never heard of a house listed for a certain amount, the amount is met and the relator then wants to know if you'll increase your amount because they have a better offer. WTH. My youngest daughter just had this happen to her. She immediately agreed to the selling price and then had to increase her offering aka bid, by another $11,000.00. She wanted the house badly. It just doesn't seem right. Almost criminal. Oh well. So, prices in my area have sky rocketed; at least my wife said they did. We could sell for a substantial profit, but have to find something else to live in. Buy at an inflated price. So, it's a wash. Why even bother. I agree whole heartedly with the last sentence in the above thread #45. Something is bound to happen. I can't see how this can go on for any length of time, Carmine.

·
Premium Member
13,125 Posts
Discussion Starter · #47 ·
Not sure I read it or heard it, but the average cost of building a house, has gone up $36,000.00, in the past year. Wish I could have recalled what the average cost was. Regardless, that's just plain crazy, Carmine.
Carmine, if you’d like to read some more about it read the article I posted in post number 1 at the beginning of this thread. It of course has no mention of the rest of the rising costs of everyday life to us all though.

·
Registered
997 Posts
I'd be asking to get a refund on my ticket!
Location, Location, Location has significant meaning for me. Here's why. Proposition 13 keeps the property tax rate very low for someone like me who purchased their home 31 years ago. Also, California is a very generous state in regards to 100% disabled military veterans. Together, I get ~90% exemption on my property tax. Also, I have no co-pay on medical costs, prescriptions, check up, treatments, vision, dental at some of the finest VA Hospitals and out patient clinics in SF Bay Area & Sacramento. These incentives help me deal with all the nonsense going on.

·
Premium Member
13,125 Posts
Discussion Starter · #49 ·
Location, Location, Location has significant meaning for me. Here's why. Proposition 13 keeps the property tax rate very low for someone like me who purchased their home 31 years ago. Also, California is a very generous state in regards to 100% disabled military veterans. Together, I get ~90% exemption on my property tax. Also, I have no co-pay on medical costs, prescriptions, check up, treatments, vision, dental at some of the finest VA Hospitals and out patient clinics in SF Bay Area & Sacramento. These incentives help me deal with all the nonsense going on.
That’s all true but I still don’t like the ridiculous gas taxes here, and it’s still not topped out yet, unless I missed the memo.

Big selling point was the highway trash, but I’m still seeing it every day. Plus haven’t noticed much of the increased maintenance promised. Strikes me as another income generating lie, and I voted no on it.

·
Premium Member
13,125 Posts
Discussion Starter · #50 ·
All those who are leaving CA, they can sell at those prices and move almost anywhere else and live like a king.
There’s the thought of polluting someone else’s state when the people out here do that though. I’m not a big fan of doing that, for any reason. Appears that I’m all alone with that idea, because people are flocking out of here like army ants. I feel bad for all the other states having to deal with that.

·
Registered
1,025 Posts
I know 7-8 guys from Cali that moved to Idaho in the last 3 years. Boise & meridian are overrun with them.

·
Premium Member
13,125 Posts
Discussion Starter · #56 ·
I just read yesterday that South Dakota is the second fastest growing state behind Texas. The Governor put out an open invitation to all police officers who want or have left their jobs in Washington state. She is guaranteeing them a job.
In that case I sure wouldn’t blame them. She might end up with a flood of them though. She’s got some guts from what I’ve seen of her.

·
Premium Member
13,125 Posts
Discussion Starter · #58 ·
She is damn good for our country
Just curious, but do the prices quoted for your logs go up and down every day, weekly, monthly? The reason asked is if you hoard and stockpile some in hopes of better prices days later?

·
Registered
1,025 Posts
Raw log prices are generally month to month. I contract log for the large mills and private landowners so our rate is solely for the harvesting and not for the log value itself

·
Premium Member
13,125 Posts
Discussion Starter · #60 ·
Raw log prices are generally month to month. I contract log for the large mills and private landowners so our rate is solely for the harvesting and not for the log value itself
Thanx, and got ya on that.

It must be frustrating for the guys that sell the logs. I’m sure most are contracted to sawmills or whoever at certain rates for maybe certain lengths of time, but for independents it’s gotta be a headache to pick the right timing.

41 - 60 of 81 Posts