Chevy Tri Five Forum banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
1,154 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I've gotten the lowering bug lately, after finding out that I don't really need an OD trans after all. I'm thinking a 2" drop all around and installing a set of non-functional lake pipes under the rockers should get me where I want to be.

I've been researching it, and I think I am going to go with 2" lowering springs on the front. I know dropped spindles would be better, but I've already spent a bunch of cash on my stock drum brake setup and it's all brand new; thus I don't want to replace it at the moment.

On the rear, I am a bit confused as to what I should do. My rear leaf springs are in dire need of replacing - it seems logical to me that I should just swap in some lowering springs in the rear. However, is there any reason that using stock height springs with lowering blocks would be better?

I am running stock 15" wheels with 670-15 bias ply whitewalls on them. This is a pretty tall tire, so I am worried about tire clearance - does anyone know of any problems with lowering a car 2" with these tires? (I'd really like to keep them because the tires have "the look" I am going for)

My next questions are regarding exhaust - right now I am running Flowtech headers that put the exhaust so low I swear I am going to scrap the ground just by getting in the car. (insert fat joke here :D) I'm pretty sure I am going to have to swap these out to avoid scraping on any bumps in the road, but by going with shorty headers, am I going to have to cut off the stock transmission mounts on the frame to make room? I'm not using them for anything (using a side-mount kit and a crossmember to hold the engine and trans up) but I left them in place in case I ever do decide to go back to stock.

NOTE: The exhaust has never actually touched pavement; even on a speed bump, it just looks really low.

Anyway, I apologize if these questions have been asked before, I did a search and read through the posts, but still had these questions in my mind. Thanks gang!

·
Registered
1,154 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
I guess I'll just try it and post the results later! :D

·
Administrator & Tech Articles
52,788 Posts
Brian......Don't have much experience with lowering yet....However, I did install lowering springs on my 57 and not spindles for the same reason.

I should think the lowering blocks with new stock springs would be a good idea.....That way, if you decide you want to go back to original height, it will be easier....If you decide to go the lowering block route, be sure to get a good quality set.

·
Registered
437 Posts
I would run new de arced springs in the rear, run the front springs your talkin about. I would also get the old trans mount out of there. If your headers are lower than the frame your gonna hit.....

·
Registered
718 Posts
You can replace the front springs or cut the existing ones. Depends on your budget. The problem in the rear is that in deciding what ride height I want I don't know how much the old springs have already sagged. With blocks you know how much you'll lower it. However, the 2" or 2 1/2" Posie springs are the best way to go from a technical standpoint. Lowering blocks bring the Ubolt and shock mounts closer to the ground so with a flat you might drag.

My '56 has cut coils and a 1" block and my '55 has dropped spindles and 2" blocks. I've been using cut coils and blocks for over 50 years without any actual problems. With me it's been a matter of economics.

·
Registered
6,486 Posts
I've gotten the lowering bug lately, I know dropped spindles would be better, but I've already spent a bunch of cash on my stock drum brake setup and it's all brand new; thus I don't want to replace it at the moment.

Thanks gang!
Why would you not be able to put your current brakes on the dropped spindles?
Jim

·
Administrator & Tech Articles
52,788 Posts
Do they make drops for drums?
NO....If yu go to dropped spindles, you have to go to disc brakes.....And to add to that.....If you have disc brakes and go to dropped spindles, you can't use those either......You have to go to a different type of rotor at least, I beieve.

·
Registered
876 Posts
If you go with lowering springs on the rear, be sure you get some from a reputable manf. I have heard of lots of talk on here about 2" drops, not being 2", etc. If you go to low on the first try, it's harder to go back up. If you go say, 1 1/2" drops, and it's still not as low as you want, you can add some lowering blocks to get it like you want it. Many have also had problems with the springs not matching in height from side to side.

·
Registered
1,154 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
All great advice. I haven't done anything with regard to lowering the car yet; my budget hasn't allowed me to do much of anything on the car lately!

But I do intend to do it eventually, and when I do I will post pics of the process. I think I may do a disc brake swap because these drums can make for some unnerving panic stops...

1 - 11 of 11 Posts