Chevy Tri Five Forum banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
133 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Today we were driving home to Kansas after leaving the 2013 Hotrod Power Tour in Little Rock. We were making good time and stopped in Fort Smith, AR. for fuel. When I started the car, the starter made a strange noise. We continued on our way and the more I thought about it, I decided to pull into a rest stop and check things out. Nothing visibly wrong, so I tried to start the car. Stater would only spin, but not engage the flywheel.

One man on his way to Tulsa, crawled under the car and removed the starter. The starter was one of those HI torque types and not available in the local auto part stores. One store manager told me of a speed shop in Fort Smith 20 miles back down the road.

The speed shop, Pro Speed in Fort Smith made two forty mile round trips to get everything I needed.

As I was starting to install the new starter, another man came buy and said he was a GM "Master Mechanic" and helped me know I was headed in the right direction.

The new starter was physically different from the first and I had to cut the header pipe to make room for the replacement starter. A man was working at the rest stop and had a battery operated "saws-all" and loaned it to me to cut the pipe.

Another man knew of a muffler shop in Sallisaw that could fix the header pipe. When I got there, the owner loaned us his truck so we could get lunch and cool off for a while. When we got back from lunch, the car was done and the cost was $20.00. Jumped in the car and drove home with no problems at all.

What a blessing to have people unknown to you come to your aid when you are in diffidence situations. The car community is full of great caring people.

I don't have names, but if you read this, Thank you!
Larry

·
Registered
38,739 Posts
Glad you got the help you needed.

That's one advantage of having a 55 in this situation. If you'd been driving a "normal" vehicle, you may have been ignored. (Hopefully not.)

I just say pay it forward if you see another trifiver (or whoever) in the same situation - help them out.

·
Registered
1,626 Posts
Great story. Thanks for posting. As soon as I travel out of the North East...I run into folks who seem friendly and helpful. I'm not sure why though.

·
Registered
3,729 Posts
Thank you very much for posting this.
Sometimes it seems like people are so petty and mean to others but stories like this prove that there are some great folks out there.

·
Registered
402 Posts
Great story! :tu
I had a couple of guys go out of there way a two weeks ago when I ran out of gas on the 57 during one of it's first drives.

Good people are out there and alot of them are Car guys!

Just remember to Pay It Forward if you get the chance..

Jim

·
Registered
1,440 Posts
Thats the difference between car people, and non car people. We need more people like that in the world. :tu

1 - 12 of 12 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.