Chevy Tri Five Forum banner
1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
3,056 Posts
I like the WWII vehicles. Those look like fine examples. There is a WWII club here in Co and a lot of the guys have restored some fine examples of trucks, half tracks, and jeeps and at least one Sherman tank of the era. In Colorado Springs during the Armed Forces Celebration weekend these guys get together and put on a display, looks like a CP with the squad tents, sandbags and they are all dressed in period correct uniforms/battle dress. We were down there 2 years ago and one guy had a quad 50 A/A half track and had a propane unit hooked up that made the guns seem to fire...quite a display as he would track/"shoot" at low flying aircraft.
I'd like to attend one of the reenactment shows sometime, I don't know if they hold any out here.

·
RIP 11/24/2021
68,223 Posts
very cool, don't get any more american than those. :fahne19: ................still had some of those 2 1/2 tons when i was in the army, were fun to drive. :party0031:

·
Registered
11,070 Posts
My friend drop off his ww2 2 1/2 ton truck and his ww2 half track for a big display we are doing next weekend ,,going to do PM on both and get the ready for the big upcoming winter reenactments ---:D
Duce! Great truck. Half Tracks are great for hunting............................:rolleyes:

·
Registered
643 Posts
:happy0030:Beautiful examples of American Iron! The half-track looks great! The older junk yards around here used to use them for wreckers, could go and pull most anything. One of my old girl-friends dad drove one from Normandy beach to Germany during WWII, said the only problem he ever had was a tree(that he was driving over) pulled a front brake line off. He said nothing stopped it, had a big 6 cyl. White commercial engine in it. Darn impressive. I used to be the mechanic for our rural fire dept. we had a duce-n-half with a 1000 gal water tank for grass and house fires. I only got it stuck once, soft ground 1000 gallons of water is heavy even for 10 wheel drive, sunk like a rock, it was a newer model (Korean War) had big straight 6 cyl. and an allison transmission, with a low hilly gear, it was tough (took an old army wrecker to pull it out after I drained all the water out. Our regular Fire truck was a Dodge and was stuck all the time, I was always pulling it out with the old Duce, didn't hardy know it was there.
thanks for sharing!:wavey::wavey:

·
Registered
5,121 Posts
Im a german reenactor!

My eldest son Randall JR. bought a 1944 WC Dodge. Both my sons and I took it completly apart and rebuit everything. The Oldest son Is the Park Superintendent at Lake Charles State Park. They have a Annual WWII event were the Brits and Americans get the Germans out of two bunkers. This years event was held last saturday. Zach and I are german reenactors and shoot a replica small cannon gun. Its a lot of fun. Ill try and get some pictures and post them later.:tu Randall

·
Registered
3,056 Posts
Regarding tracks on armored vehicles, I have a close friend who retired from the Army after 30yrs service. He spent his entire career in armor. One day I asked him that very question about tracks and road surfaces, after seeing an armored unit hightailing it down the Autobahn on the news and he said that all tracked vehicles have two different sets of tracks, road with padded rubber pads and regular off-road field tracks. He spent several years/tours in Europe during the '70's, mostly West Germany, and the armored units would do manuvers with NATO, moving whole brigades and divisions on the highway systems. When they arrived at where they were to deploy, the field tracks were brought up and changed out. Of course he also said if it had ever come to an actual war in Europe w/ the soviets the roads were toast because they would deploy with or without road tracks.

1 - 20 of 20 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.