Chevy Tri Five Forum banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
176 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
After returning from a recent cruise I noticed that my 383 in my 57 was fouling plugs so today I pulled the distributor cap ( HEI distributor ) and noticed that the rotor and cap did not look the best so off to the local parts store and purchased new cap and coil, new rotor and new control module figuring to cover all bases. After installing all parts car would not start, after checking and rechecking everything which including removing wires and cap and rotor several more times, I started replaceing the new parts one at a time with the old parts that had been removed, starting with the coil, then the cap then the rotor and each time the car would not start, finally I replaced the control module with the old one and the engine fired. I returned the control module to the parts store and explained that either they had given me the wrong one ( I knew that there should only be one 4 prong module ) or the new one was defective, of course they wanted to know had I done everything right because they do not have problems with new modules...I politely explained that this was not my first rodeo and that I had checked and rechecked everything and they finally reluctantly gave me a replacement and requested that I call and let them know how it worked. I went home installed the new module and sure enough it fired right up. Just goes to show you that all new parts are not necessarily good out of the box. It sure had me scratching my head for a while

·
Premium Member
7,631 Posts
Not good?

In 75 I bought a new 350/300 shoet block fro our local dealer. About six months later I noticed what looked like a crack in a piston skirt. I removed the piston, took it back. The dealer replaced it for free. I put a new Crower in it and it ran good.:D

·
Premium Member
441 Posts
new out of the box !

New doesnt mean Good,
The titanic was on its madien voyage and look where she sits now !!!

·
Registered
2,501 Posts
I put a new ignition module in my old Dart. The car wouldn't start at the parts store, so I bought the new ne and it started right up..........didn't make it all the way home before the car died again..........yup, bad module.........it can happen with anything, though.

·
Registered
2,857 Posts
Tell me about it! I am in the major home appliance repair business, we get new broken or just plain non functioning parts all the time. GRRRR. Dave

·
Registered
277 Posts
that's okay... put a new mechanical pump in my 57 (327) worked for about a week, left me stranded on a busy highway on my way to work. Bought a new electric pump and bypassed the mechanical, worked great.. for 2 days! Just left me stranded today. After an hour on the side of the highway, turns out new pump was bad. Put in a new one and all is well again....i just wonder for how long. :(

·
Administrator
67,985 Posts
The sad thing is that when you return an item they look at you as if your the culprit that has done something wrong

·
Registered
18 Posts
Many repair/trouble shooter manual/instructions now state, "Replace with known good part" Just for this reason. Nowhere did it say new part. Especially on electronic parts. DAMHIKT

1 - 12 of 12 Posts