Chevy Tri Five Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
205 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a 55 chevt 210 4dr wagon, how do i figure out twhat header to run and what will fit. The motor is a very mild SB350 and a TH350 trans. going to run AC and power steering.
Thanks

·
Registered
58 Posts
it will depend alot on if your going stock height or lowered

·
Registered
205 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I'm going with a full adjustable Air Ride suspension.

·
Registered
536 Posts
A few years back, I ran a set of Blackjack headers on a 350 in my
57. I think the tubes were 1 7/8. Never a problem with them, but I
would say there are many others out there that are just as good if
not better....I will add that I ran front motor mounts, mount on
bell housing, and one on transmission cross bar....

·
Administrator
48,733 Posts
With headers it all seems to be on what day of the week they were built. Some guys have had good fit from one brand while they hit for others. I am running Patriot 3/4 length headers myself, with only a slight rub on the pitman arm. Other are using the Earle Williams headers.
Terry

·
Registered
205 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
So what is the difference between all the styles? Ram Horns, Black hugger, med header long header??? I'm lost now.

·
Administrator
48,733 Posts
The "ram horn" is the stock style where the 3 converge into one in the middle and then go down. "Block hugger" is simply that, the stay fairly close to the block. a " 3/4" length header has the tubes stop or end before they drop below the frame. If you are going with a lowered ride then you probably won`t want to use a full length header since most of them hang below the frame.
Terry

·
Registered
205 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
The "ram horn" is the stock style where the 3 converge into one in the middle and then go down. "Block hugger" is simply that, the stay fairly close to the block. a " 3/4" length header has the tubes stop or end before they drop below the frame. If you are going with a lowered ride then you probably won`t want to use a full length header since most of them hang below the frame.
Terry
HMMM... So sounds like I want to find a 3/4" length style headers. I might need something that doesnt drop below the frame.

·
Registered
66,301 Posts
like terry, i put 3/4 length patriots on my 55 (327 eng). didn't want to chance anything hanging below frame. they are ceramic coated and $325 at summit. i think there a good buy. luv them. :party0031:

·
Registered
205 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
like terry, i put 3/4 length patriots on my 55 (327 eng). didn't want to chance anything hanging below frame. they are ceramic coated and $325 at summit. i think there a good buy. luv them. :party0031:
Got any pitures of your engine bay with them installed.

·
Registered
369 Posts
I agree with Chevman and carl, I am using 3/4 patriots for angle plug heads but had to slightly grind a relief on the pitman arm, no biggie!!

·
Registered
154 Posts
Californiadad,
I am running the Air-Ride Suspension set-up which you are planning on running. Like Terry referred to above; I had full length headers and WOW:eek: with the Air Suspension they would run awfully close to the ground and scrape a few times. So I switched to 3/4 Length as mentioned. Just remember to remove your stock rear mounts from the frame because they tuck up real tight.
Here are a few pics for you.
Good Luck!!:tu

Attachments

·
Registered
205 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
:winking0070:

here you go dad. they the nicest thing in there.
Oh wow those do look nice!! I might need to look into those!

1 - 14 of 14 Posts