Chevy Tri Five Forum banner
1 - 20 of 37 Posts

·
Registered
434 Posts
This stuff is thick..be carefull using it on the door panels especially on top and around handle regulators or you wont be able to get the garnish moldings and handles on right..These are all tight fits to begin with...I would use them on floors,firewall etc.
ALL THE BEST
Paul :sign0020:

·
Registered
411 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
This stuff is thick..be carefull using it on the door panels especially on top and around handle regulators or you wont be able to get the garnish moldings and handles on right..These are all tight fits to begin with...I would use them on floors,firewall etc.
ALL THE BEST
Paul :sign0020:
That is what i was thinking about it being thick. Maybe just using it on the floors and fire wall area. What about sticking it inside the doors and on the roof. maybe using it to line the trunk area?

·
Registered
166 Posts
In my opinion I would stick with the dynamat or similar type product! Something about neoprene just dont sound right! It doesnt look like it would mold to the contours like the dynamat!I have the Dynamat in my car and I love it!

·
Registered
37,987 Posts
There is another product called "raamat".

It's my understanding that the Dynamat and true clones are rubber/asphalt mixes. Neoprene probably isn't going to do it. But just because some ebay guy calls it neoprene doesn't mean that's what it is.

There are some links to some "sound shootout" deals where effectiveness and price are compared - on this site and others.

I wouldn't expect 1/4" material of this weight to stay on a roof, or maybe even on a vertical surface. Maybe on a vertical surface if the adhesive was REALLY good. Not sure you need sound insulation as much as you want thermal insulation on a roof anyway.

Keep in mind that if you buy a no name product off Ebay, you are risking having to do it over, so it may be false economy.

·
Registered
156 Posts
There is another product out there, and it is a fraction of the cost of most of these insulator, sound deading products. I am surprised it hasn't been mentioned here but I am sure there may be a reference on some thread. This product is carried at Lowes and is "Peel and Seal" comes in rolls of 25' and cost $16.42 a roll.

I have seen on other forums talk about this being a roofing product and thus asphalt based, and once heated up will have an ordor. I am here to tell you this just aint the case. I have been using this stuff for three years and have insulated 6 cars with it all with excellent results. No odors at all that I can tell, its as easy to use as all of the expensive products and works every bit as good, same foil backing and just real easy to work with. For $16.42 its cheap enough to try at least.

Roland

·
Registered
56 Posts
Roland,you are right,I bought that peel and stick at Lowes,just did a few panels on the rear seat area,the stuff really conforms to the metal.
Have to finish rewireing the car before I do the floors,ect.....looks like a great product.
Thanks James Hermiston,Ore

·
Registered
411 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Is there any tar smell when it get's over 110 inside the car? It's not 100% butyl rubber

·
Registered
156 Posts
Darrin, Are you referring to the "Peal and Seal" ? If you are I have never ever smelt any offensive odor ( I pretty sure there is no such word as smelt, so please insert Smelled in its place if you are offended by bad grammer :):).

Now that Could be my smeller or it Could be the stuff just doesn't stink Hot or Cold. Besides at that price you can test your own smeller. :D:happy0030:

Roland

·
Registered
6,563 Posts
"smelt" = a species of fish. Does your insulation smell like fish, or tar??

·
Registered
411 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 · (Edited)
Darrin, Are you referring to the "Peal and Seal" ? If you are I have never ever smelt any offensive odor ( I pretty sure there is no such word as smelt, so please insert Smelled in its place if you are offended by bad grammer :):).

Now that Could be my smeller or it Could be the stuff just doesn't stink Hot or Cold. Besides at that price you can test your own smeller. :D:happy0030:

Roland
Thanks Roland

We have a Lowes close so I will get some and check it out.

Grammar don't worry mine is horrible. So blame my teacher. I guess she was under paided and didn't care:)

thank you

Darrin

·
Registered
156 Posts
Buzzard, and Rick, Thanks guys!!! I didn't know it was still possible to laugh so hard I cried.:D:eek::eek:

Roland

·
Registered
251 Posts
Went to Lowes today and I could not find the product Peel and Seal. I went to the insulation section and could not find it. I asked and they don't carry it. I also checked online and nothing shows that Lowes carry the product?

There is another product out there, and it is a fraction of the cost of most of these insulator, sound deading products. I am surprised it hasn't been mentioned here but I am sure there may be a reference on some thread. This product is carried at Lowes and is "Peel and Seal" comes in rolls of 25' and cost $16.42 a roll.

I have seen on other forums talk about this being a roofing product and thus asphalt based, and once heated up will have an ordor. I am here to tell you this just aint the case. I have been using this stuff for three years and have insulated 6 cars with it all with excellent results. No odors at all that I can tell, its as easy to use as all of the expensive products and works every bit as good, same foil backing and just real easy to work with. For $16.42 its cheap enough to try at least.

Roland

1 - 20 of 37 Posts