Chevy Tri Five Forum banner

Sound deadening material

6K views 36 replies 23 participants last post by  56ChevyWagonman 
#1 ·
#4 ·
This stuff is thick..be carefull using it on the door panels especially on top and around handle regulators or you wont be able to get the garnish moldings and handles on right..These are all tight fits to begin with...I would use them on floors,firewall etc.
ALL THE BEST
Paul :sign0020:

#5 ·
That is what i was thinking about it being thick. Maybe just using it on the floors and fire wall area. What about sticking it inside the doors and on the roof. maybe using it to line the trunk area?

#10 ·
There is another product called "raamat".

It's my understanding that the Dynamat and true clones are rubber/asphalt mixes. Neoprene probably isn't going to do it. But just because some ebay guy calls it neoprene doesn't mean that's what it is.

There are some links to some "sound shootout" deals where effectiveness and price are compared - on this site and others.

I wouldn't expect 1/4" material of this weight to stay on a roof, or maybe even on a vertical surface. Maybe on a vertical surface if the adhesive was REALLY good. Not sure you need sound insulation as much as you want thermal insulation on a roof anyway.

Keep in mind that if you buy a no name product off Ebay, you are risking having to do it over, so it may be false economy.

#11 ·
There is another product out there, and it is a fraction of the cost of most of these insulator, sound deading products. I am surprised it hasn't been mentioned here but I am sure there may be a reference on some thread. This product is carried at Lowes and is "Peel and Seal" comes in rolls of 25' and cost $16.42 a roll.

I have seen on other forums talk about this being a roofing product and thus asphalt based, and once heated up will have an ordor. I am here to tell you this just aint the case. I have been using this stuff for three years and have insulated 6 cars with it all with excellent results. No odors at all that I can tell, its as easy to use as all of the expensive products and works every bit as good, same foil backing and just real easy to work with. For $16.42 its cheap enough to try at least.

Roland

#28 ·
I saw some 36 inch wide silver foil stuff at our local farm store and wondered if it would work for this. Does anyone know what the stuff is? It came on a roll and looked like you bought it by the foot. I tried to search the Orscheins and Tractor supply websites but I couldn;t find it.
Gary

#14 ·
Darrin, Are you referring to the "Peal and Seal" ? If you are I have never ever smelt any offensive odor ( I pretty sure there is no such word as smelt, so please insert Smelled in its place if you are offended by bad grammer :):).

Now that Could be my smeller or it Could be the stuff just doesn't stink Hot or Cold. Besides at that price you can test your own smeller. :D:happy0030:

Roland

#15 ·
"smelt" = a species of fish. Does your insulation smell like fish, or tar??

#21 ·
Fran, Can't imagine why they would say that. I have bought it sevreal times at the Lowes here in Guntersville, Alabama so I know for a fact at least some of there stores carry it. I guess in a pinch you could use the "Online' Thing but if its available online then they MUST carry it........Huh?

Roland

#22 ·
Peel and Seal

We use the Peel and Seal all the time in my business so I was pretty familiar with it. I put it in my car and was happy with the way it conforms, the way it looks (although it will eventually be covered up) and there was no obnoxious odor to speak of. Shoot, if you put your nose on the new steering column I just bought, it smells worse than the Peel and Seal. I like the aluminum outer skin too. If there was going to be a smell issue down the road it would be minimal because the product is pretty much encapsulated between the floor and the aluminum skin. JMHO. :) JIM.

Attachments

#29 ·
Can I use this on the roof and doors?

We use the Peel and Seal all the time in my business so I was pretty familiar with it. I put it in my car and was happy with the way it conforms, the way it looks (although it will eventually be covered up) and there was no obnoxious odor to speak of. Shoot, if you put your nose on the new steering column I just bought, it smells worse than the Peel and Seal. I like the aluminum outer skin too. If there was going to be a smell issue down the road it would be minimal because the product is pretty much encapsulated between the floor and the aluminum skin. JMHO. :) JIM.

#27 ·
Sound deadeners are topical on several other forums. Seems that folks are looking for alternatives to dynamat, maybe because of $$. There also seems to be "smell" issues associated with some of these products.

Sure wouldn't want a peculiar smell after putting down the carpet.:eek:

#33 ·
I used a product called EDEAD it is similar to dyno or fat mat but was 125.00 for 100 sq ft . had a vinal backing an went down easily. seemed to make a big difference too.

#36 ·
a buddy of mine has a fab/body shop and he's now the california distributor for something called "lizard skin". i saw a demo on "you tube" from the sema show on this product and looked promising. his shop is doing a demo with the stuff in january on a car they're building. if your in norcal send me a pm and i'll tell you about the the particulars. my 57' needs something for sound and heat and im thinking of using it. i'm definetely planning on going to the demo.

also if you go to the HAMB theres some chatter about it over there as well.

charlie

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.