Chevy Tri Five Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
Nomads 55-57,69Z28-RS,72ElCamino, Corvette(5)
9,199 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I cleaned up the Park brake parts for my '57 Nomad today and found that the 'cheap pulleys' used in the two forward cable brackets are very worn. If there were bearings involved, they are 'gone', and the pulleys themselves have cut into the shoulder bolts which retain them. I've searched online for replacement pulleys, or rebuild kits, but no luck. I'm sure I'm not the first trifive owner to have this issue... so what have you guys done to correct this problem? Is there a source for new pulleys? or has anyone found a way to *rebuild* the pulleys?

The only online source I found is from Ghost Classic Perf, but it's for the complete pull handle, brackets, etc.. for $149... that's an expensive fix for a couple of $2 pulleys...?

http://goldenstarauto.com/Productdetails.aspx?id=HB13-55SC&c=11&sc=332&pi=0

Any help towards a source or rebuild kit is appreciated..

·
Registered
9,199 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Great~ Thanks David... and East Coast Chevy even has them TWO different ways.. plastic and steel... :)

Their stuff never shows up in 'online' searches... I wish they did!

Does anyone have any reasons for one type over the other (plastic vs steel)??

·
Premium Member
12,067 Posts
Don't even think about the plastic. Go with the metal pulleys and new bolts or weld up the old bolts and machine back to size. They are a major pain to change with the fenders on so if the plastic breaks or something, you are stuck dealing with the changeout so use metal and skip the plastic

·
Registered
9,199 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 · (Edited)
Thanks fellas.... and for confirming that the cheap metal is better than the cheap plastic... :) I'll order them Monday by phone... and get their newest catalog.. :)

PS. Is there an alternative to use of the pulleys/cable from the stock pull handle? OR is there an 'encased alternative that can be used with the stock handle?? I'm using Lokar encased cables in the rear for use with Corvette brakes, but I wanted to stay with the 'stock' underdash pull handle...

·
Administrator
67,370 Posts
Don't even think about the plastic. Go with the metal pulleys and new bolts or weld up the old bolts and machine back to size. They are a major pain to change with the fenders on so if the plastic breaks or something, you are stuck dealing with the changeout so use metal and skip the plastic
X2 keep away from the plastic

1 - 6 of 6 Posts