Chevy Tri Five Forum banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
626 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi Guys,

I was in a conversation today at a local car meet and I realized something I never gave any thought to. My spare tire. (not the one infront of me)

I recently upgraded to Wilwood 12.9" discs and realized if I get a flat, what should I have as a spare? My O.E. 15" spare will not clear brakes. I don't really want to get another chrome rim to hide in the trunk:eek:
I have 17's and 18's so what would have that size rim with a 5 bolt, 4 3/4" bolt circle that would fit in my trunk spare tire well?

Might be a simple solution, but someone might have thought this through.
Thanks

·
Registered
6,486 Posts
Get one of those mini spares that a lot of newer cars have gone to and put a cover on it.
Jim

·
Registered
6,486 Posts
This is what I had in mind. It is from a C5 corvette, will clear brakes and has enough road clearance for a C5.
Or you can get a spare in a can.
Jim

·
Administrator
9,086 Posts
Danchuk has a 14 x5 and 14 x 6 designed to work with disc brakes and still fit in the spare tire well, I just got one, I am installing wilwood disc brakes now.

Item Number: 12148

Designed for the builder who desires a stock look with modern disc brakes, these replacement 14 x 6 wheels accept the full 1957 wheel covers and clear disc brakes. Features Chevy and Ford bolt patterns. Hub caps MUST be fitted prior to painting. Danchuk #12148 will work on any model 1957 classic Chevy using full wheel covers. Will not work with small 210, 150 covers. Oversized shipping required.

·
Registered
8,329 Posts
I'm no fan of the "doughnut" spares either, so I'm fabricating and anchor and stud, and placing my full sized spare up in the front of the trunk, leaning on the hump, and the floor with anchor holding the jack as well. I have no pictures, this is all in my head.

·
Registered
30 Posts
Go to a local steel wheel maker and have a steel wheel made. Then you get to choose 17 or 18 and the center you want. Paint it plain black and your in business.

·
Registered
1,621 Posts
205/75/14R is the biggest tire that will just barely fit into my 57 wheelwell.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts