Chevy Tri Five Forum banner
1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
239 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Going to replace the original exhaust manifolds on my 55 Vert. 327 with a set of 2" rams horns. Do I need the half moon heat shields for the spark plug wires? Who makes a custom fit set for electronic ignition?

·
Administrator
66,194 Posts
I refitted mine back they are a bit of a struggle, but their back on, cant remember if the heat shiels or the lead holders were a bit small to hold the newer style spark plug leads

·
Registered
239 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I was wondering about that since the new wires are a little larger. I am wondering about the wire stand offs on the back of the block

·
Administrator
66,194 Posts
I was wondering about that since the new wires are a little larger. I am wondering about the wire stand offs on the back of the block
The wire stand offs I`m pretty sure the new leads will not fit through, the original style were alot thinner in diameter. I left the stand offs where they should be but now leads run through them.

·
Registered
1,310 Posts
I replaced my headers with 2 1/2" center dumps a while back. Replaced the ign wires with MSD no.31593 blk. They are designed to go under the manifolds in-lieu of over the top. They look soooo much better. The wires are a little longer for that purpose. Also, I made thin sht mtl half moon shape (one each side) wire shields to keep wires away from the down exhaust pipe. Very clean and effective. Yes, that was the first things we did back in the day was to remove them because they were in the way.

·
Administrator & Tech Articles
51,751 Posts

·
Registered
239 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
I tried to bolt up 2.5" rams horn on the left side but but it would not clear
the steering box on my car. I am using stock motor mounts.

·
Administrator & Tech Articles
51,751 Posts
I tried to bolt up 2.5" rams horn on the left side but but it would not clear the steering box on my car. I am using stock motor mounts.
What kind of steering box BV6?

·
Registered
1,310 Posts
I have the original steering box. Yes, the clearence is extremely close. I am using front mounts w/SB. Clearence is 1/4" and that's it! I thought torque of engine would be an issue but it is not. I am sorry but I don't have any helps for clearence.

·
Registered
239 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
I have the original front motor mounts on my S/B and no way could I even bolt the manifold on as it was in contact with the steering box

·
Registered
1,445 Posts
Going to replace the original exhaust manifolds on my 55 Vert. 327 with a set of 2" rams horns. Do I need the half moon heat shields for the spark plug wires?
the problem is they wont fit with a block that had side mount bosses.

I made mine fit with some cutting

·
Registered
1,310 Posts
Beachvett6
The only comment I can make is there my be a difference in repro companies. I absolutely lucked out since I had no idea there is an issue in the clearance in the first place. I purchased this pair yrs back to put on a '62 BelAir Sports Coup I will start restoring next summer. I just got lucky!!! By the way, those side shields look great! As a side note w/regard to the side mt heat shields. I purchased a pr from Corvette Central for my '63 Vett. They fit perfect. A SB is a SB no matter how you look at it. The ones shown are for an early SB and as mentioned, they will not fit later SB with side mount. I only know this because I have purchased both sets.

·
Registered
1,310 Posts
This is what we are discussing. The half mood shaped shields that bolt to each side of the block with the wires under the shield. Again, Corvette Central has them for the later block w/side mounts. I hope this is what you are asking.

·
Registered
1,445 Posts

·
Registered
1,310 Posts
Yes, that be the ones. They are longer than the early sets. Also, there are four shields that go right under the manifold (2 per side) as a heat shield for the spark plug. Now these are very generic and will fit most any SB and can be purchased from most suppliers.

1 - 20 of 20 Posts