Chevy Tri Five Forum banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Setting The Spark Plug Gap

I have been told that If you set the gap on the plugs at 40 to 42 that you you will get a little hotter spark and a better engine performance. I have done this on my 57 and my 32 chev and know quite a few guys who have done this and all of them say they are getting better results. The only thing I can see that may happen, Is that maybe the coil will get a little warmer. :)

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
thanx dseale for the dwell, really needed that. and I'll try the bigger gap, don lynn, if it screws coil, that will be incentive enuff for me to get aftermarket coil, lol. :)

·
Registered
3 Posts
Spark Plug Gap

I have a original 57 coil In my 57 now and have had the spark plugs gapped at 42 for a year now and no problems with the original coil. I think you will be happy with the wider gap and a hotter spark from the plugs. If you want, You could run with a newer coil Instead of running with a original coil, And If you have your car judged you could put the original coil In for judging. :)

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
judged? haha, very funny.

this car is strictly for going to work, I just got the front fender off and beaten back straight, the lugnuts i bought vibrated off, i think they were made of zinc, anyways the wheel smashed into fender, so i got that classic ford truck look with the swept fender. :D I will eventually get pics up, so u can see what a 57 looks like that has been a daily driver it's entire life, seriously, bought in late '56 and driven evry single day, till now, the shift forks in column are starting not to shift all the way into gear, so either new column or floor shift. My friend bought it new and he has had a lot of tri-fives, this 57 has a 56 generator, 56 rear wheels, 57 spare, 64 impala front rims, 57 belair steering wheel that doesnt fit my column(there's a 1inch gap between steering wheel and the piece that houses the turn signal switch), and this 57 is a 210 4dr sedan, it has the gold grill, dunno if that is original, it also has chrome side window "visors", so u can ride with windows cracked and not get wet when it rains, it has the 3spd OD manual trans., and the stovebolt, uhhhh.....seats were redone, and are already starting to come apart again, so much more stuff. I'll send detailed pics so u can see what is really goin on, lol. thanx for the help, good luck with all ya'lls projects and drivers. Mike. :cool:

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
weird dwell, surprised it actually ran!!!

also, my dwell before tune-up was at 24*, and it's now at about 29.5*, need carb rebuilt, cuz it makes engine shudder when u start to depress pedal, I'm guessing thats the problem, feels like a dead spot. I also set plugs to .040", and coil is doin just fine, i did notice a small valve chatter at idle and i'm wondering if maybe a lifter needs replaced, it chatters at all rpm's i think. aren't the '57 sixes suppose to have hydraulic lifters? cuz i see a long plate on the passenger side of block. I hate to bug evryone so much, but I just dont wanna get caught out on road dead, like FORD, Found On Road Dead, no offense to any ford lovers. Thanx a bunch!!! Mike.

·
Registered
43 Posts
Don't know about the '57 but in '55 the auto trans and 6 cyl. had hydraulic lifters and the standard trans had solid lifters.

·
Registered
1,006 Posts
Even hydaulic lifters need to be adjusted once in a while, for the shift problems the first place I would check is the bushings in the shift linkage as when the wear they cause shift problems and hangs. The 210 came with a silver grille, the gold trim was only on the BelAir models, and the chrome side visors are called vent visors after the company that made them and were a dealer option.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts