Chevy Tri Five Forum banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts
G

·
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey guys,

Can anybody give me some info about the standard speedo cable probs I got, as the needle flickers and there's a clicking sound comin from the gauge / cable, so I'm guessing the cable may have probs with lube, but not sure if I gotta take the whole thing out, or just blast some lube down from the top at the back of the gauge into the cable housing?
Any help would be appreciated!
Cheers,
Damien

·
Premium Member
1957 Chevy Bel Air Convertible; ZZ4 w HEI ign; 700r4; 9" rear w/3:50 gears; pwr disc fr w drum rear
1,996 Posts
Damien, I'm going though this right now as well. I'm not convinced that spraying lubricant into the back at open cable connector will get the lube where it needs to be. If it did, why would they need to put that little "freeze plug" on the housing where the felt wick is (and the designed spot to lubricate it)....maybe someone else knows if it's all the same "area"...

Also difficult to get a spray tube up there behind dash?

I ended up pulling my cluster, speedo head & spending some time getting it lubed well, and moving freely before re-installing. It is a PIA though. (disconnect steering column from dash, push down on column, and roll the cluster out...no need to remove steering wheel)

I've come to find my problem is that the cable isn't turning in the cable housing even tho connected to trans. So, my drive & driven gears aren't engaged I guess.....(I pulled out cable from sheath & it's intact)

So maybe my cable stripped the cable inlet of the driven gear because speedo was too tough to turn? or one of those gears is stripped/damaged.
My lesson learned might be that continuing to allow speedo to operate in an unlubricated condition might put undue stress on the other components of the system.. I should have lubed right away, or disconnected cable until I had the chance to do the work.

Ace

G

·
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Ace and Greg,

Thanks for the info guys, I'll give it a shot on the weekend.
I didn't want to let it go for much longer, so it does wear out some parts more than they are already, or sieze up, as my column shift shaft had done recently.

Cheers,

Damien

·
Registered
88 Posts
Bouncing speedo

On the same subject,my speedo wont work until 50=60 mph and then bounces up and down.Could that also be the speedometer?
It worked fine until I removed it to rewire the dash harness.

·
Premium Member
1957 Chevy Bel Air Convertible; ZZ4 w HEI ign; 700r4; 9" rear w/3:50 gears; pwr disc fr w drum rear
1,996 Posts
Damien, I think Greg did a better job of reading your original post than I did...you were more focused on the cable at this point. I hope the cable is your problem, and that lubing it solves the problem. On mine, I disconnected the cable at speedo head, and pulled metal cable out of cable housing inside the car...putting down some plastic to be sure I didn't mess up my carpet and seats......then I lubed the HE## out of it with white lithium grease and eased it back into the housing, greasing it along the way as it went in....(making sure I felt the end of cable re-seat back into end of "driven gear" at transmission end of cable)....cleaned up excess grease in the screw on connector before re-connecting. That didn't solve my problem...so I moved onto the speed head.

I saw another post where someone said to soak the cable in anti-freeze as a good method to lube the interior cable....maybe doing both would be good...soak overnight in antifreeze and then add the grease as you put it back in...

Ace

·
Registered
53 Posts
Had the same problem with my speedo last weekend. I ended up getting under the dash disconnect the cable from the back side of the speedometer housing. Pulled the cable out of the sheath, lubed it s I pulled it out and applied some extra lube asI fed it back in and a bit off extra lube on the end whre it goes back into the housing. I recoonected it and then took it out for a spin. All is good now..........No weird noises and no bouncing around of the needle.............
Easy fix................:D

·
Registered
4,760 Posts
I just rebuilt and greased 4 old speedometers I kept for over 30 years in my attic. They were completely seized up. Any car that has been sitting for a long time would probably break the speedometer cable if it was driven without disconnecting the speedo and testing it. The old grease in them turns hard and might even damage the plastic geared shaft inside the speedo.

·
Registered
30 Posts
Speedo cable problems

Heres another speedo cable problem. My speedo was bouncing and sticking at various speed. Went the whole route trying to correct. Took speedo out. Worked OK. Lubed the devil out of the cable and checked for binding, all OK. Then decided to grind 1/16 inch off end of speeo cable. That did the trick. Every thing works OK. Seems the speedo cable was a little to long and binding the speedo head. Another item to check speedo is slugish and bouncy.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts