Chevy Tri Five Forum banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
29 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have a 55 nomad and would like to swap out the speedo cable (housing and shaft). Is this possible without removing the firewall grommet?

·
Administrator & Tech Articles
52,789 Posts
The grommet will have to come out, due to the size of the nut....Should probably get another grommet first to replace yours, unless you've replaced it recently.

·
Premium Member
1957 Chevy Bel Air Convertible; ZZ4 w HEI ign; 700r4; 9" rear w/3:50 gears; pwr disc fr w drum rear
1,996 Posts
I cut my grommet at the top, put in new cable and put grommet back in .......unless there is a way to cut your own cable end, and crimp on your own nut (and there are probably members here that know how to do that!)

maybe you can rubber cement the sliced grommet just to be sure......but mine is staying put.

At least on a '57 the grommet goes in/out pretty easily.....but how to replace the cable without slicing the grommet is beyond my knowledge.

Ace

·
Registered
4,760 Posts
I have a 55 nomad and would like to swap out the speedo cable (housing and shaft). Is this possible without removing the firewall grommet?
You will have to remove the grommet to remove the cable from it. Should be easy to get a replacement for it. I just did mine on a 57

·
Registered
2,857 Posts
I would remove and replace the grommet, sometimes the seemingly "hard way" turns out to be the "easy way". Dave

·
Premium Member
1957 Chevy Bel Air Convertible; ZZ4 w HEI ign; 700r4; 9" rear w/3:50 gears; pwr disc fr w drum rear
1,996 Posts
I think his real question is how does he put the fat new metal screw-on end of the "pre-made" speedo cable through the small hole in the grommet...(without slicing the grommet)

Ace

·
Registered
29 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Is the grommet "directional" in how it goes into the firewall? It looks like it would be easer to push it thru from the interior into the engine bay.

·
Premium Member
1,996 Posts
Cool Breeze
One side of the grommet is fatter than the other....I like that side in the engine compartment, and definitely install from engine side. (since thinner side will pass through firewall easier)

Ace

1 - 11 of 11 Posts