Chevy Tri Five Forum banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
870 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Replace the broken cable and then tested the speedo with a drill motor. The speedo still squeal's and is still erratic. Are they rebuilt or replaced?

·
Premium Member
13,068 Posts
I had mine rebuilt ,a guy here in PA does them ,,pm me for info ,,:) you can buy a repro one ..but you know how some repro parts are ,,,,,:eviltongue:

·
Premium Member
11,680 Posts
The squealing and erratic movement is lack of oil. Pull the speedo and follow the instructions, I think it's a sticky and I think dan chuck also has a procedure for pulling the little brass cap and doing a little service work. Costs a little time and some light oil. Worth a try.

·
Registered
870 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Well after disassembling the speedo I found the rod that holds the needle had separated from the brass cup. To small to try and resolder so I put a spot of super glue on it. I'll try it out tomarrow.

·
Registered
1,137 Posts
I had the same issue. I did just as Dragsix suggests and mine is like new again.
X4 and it only took about 15 minutes... could hardly turn it prior, but once I cleaned it with penetration oil as instructed, lubed and reinstalled the wick, it spins easily and is quiet and smooth.

·
Administrator & Tech Articles
51,704 Posts
The squealing and erratic movement is lack of oil. Pull the speedo and follow the instructions, I think it's a sticky and I think dan chuck also has a procedure for pulling the little brass cap and doing a little service work. Costs a little time and some light oil. Worth a try.
Here is the sticky:http://www.trifive.com/forums/showthread.php?t=71804

Well after disassembling the speedo I found the rod that holds the needle had separated from the brass cup. To small to try and resolder so I put a spot of super glue on it. I'll try it out tomarrow.
Hope that gets it fixed SS.

·
Administrator
66,126 Posts
Make sure that the glue is strong enough, should do the same job as solder :anim_25:

1 - 10 of 10 Posts