Chevy Tri Five Forum banner
1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
153 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Ok, let me first say that I have searched and found some info on the speedometer cable, but I need more info. The problem is my speedometer does not work AT ALL. The odometer does not work as well. Wont budge, make noise, jump, ANYTHING. I took both ends loose today and sprayed some WD-40 (good or bad idea?). I put them back in place and made sure they were tight, still don't work... Does anyone have pictures as to what the ends look like? How does the darn thing even work? Think I just need to replace it or is it something different? What kind of things should I of looked for on the ends? I could pull both ends (plastic?) out a little bit and push them in a bit. Felt like I was turning the speedo end (trans side was attached and I was using pliers.) Sorry if im making such a big thing out of a little problem. But any help is appreciated!

·
Registered
887 Posts
You can disconnect the cable at the transmission, hook up a drill to the cable and while turning the drill on have someone look at the speedometer to see if you have movement. If you do then most likely you have a problem with the gears in the transmission. It could just be the one that goes in the side of the transmission. Just take the bolt out that holds the gear housing and pull it out to inspect it.

If you have no movement on the speedo then it could be the cable, or it could be the speedo. You will need to pull the cable and inspect it and if it is fine then you will need to pull the speedo and check it out.

·
Registered
153 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
You can disconnect the cable at the transmission, hook up a drill to the cable and while turning the drill on have someone look at the speedometer to see if you have movement. If you do then most likely you have a problem with the gears in the transmission. It could just be the one that goes in the side of the transmission. Just take the bolt out that holds the gear housing and pull it out to inspect it.

If you have no movement on the speedo then it could be the cable, or it could be the speedo. You will need to pull the cable and inspect it and if it is fine then you will need to pull the speedo and check it out.
Thanks! Will try tomorrow! Is it hard to get out the cable? and what would I look for? A break in it?

EDIT: One other thing, What kind of gears are we talking about here?

·
Administrator
66,133 Posts
The gear drive in the transmission housing if I remember right is plastic. Sometimes the plastic gear can be stipped.

The most common problem is the inner cable drive, it is swuare shaped and should have lube in it to stop it from binding.

If you have taken the cable out from the transmission end make sure that the inner cable goes in far enough son that the drive can pick it up.

Check to see if the route of the cable doesnt have any bends as it goes into the firewall and obviously connected into the cluster.

You could try what Texnet suggested with a battery operated drill, or chock up the rear wheels with everything connected, just eliminate either the gear drive, cable or cluster.

:anim_25:

·
Registered
887 Posts
To do the testing do not pull the cable. Just take it loose at the transmission. You should have a outer housing and then the the inter cable which is the part that turns to make the speedo register. The inter cable should have about 3/4-1" of the end in the shape of a square that fits in the shaft of the gear. Attach your drill to that square end and see if the speedo registers when you run the drill.

There are two gears in the transmssion. One is on the tailshaft and one is in the housing that had the speedo cable hooked to it. To check the one in the housing, take the one bolt out that holds the housing in and slide the housing out, the gear should come with it. The gear is plastic and if it is cupped and not straight across then most likely you have found your problem. The gear on the tailshaft normally does not wear out.

Thanks! Will try tomorrow! Is it hard to get out the cable? and what would I look for? A break in it?

EDIT: One other thing, What kind of gears are we talking about here?

·
Registered
153 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Thanks! I really appreciate the quick suggestions. Ill check it out tomorrow and report back! Keep suggestions coming!

·
Stainless Trim Restoration
10,161 Posts
Before you go to all this trouble, disconnect the end on the speedo head. Move it back out of the way. On the end of the speedo you will see a brass end, you MUST be able to move this freely. If it will not move, then the problem in NOT CABLE RELATED. The fix is, to remove the complete cluster and take the speedo out and clean it and lube it. There is lots of information on what needs to be done to do this next and very important step.

See photos, the second one is the brass cup that holds the lubricating wick against the moving parts inside the speedo head.

Mikey
55wagoncrazy

Attachments

·
Registered
153 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
55wagoncrazy, thanks for the info and the pics! Will try it tomorrow, I have been sick all day and was unable to mess with it today.. Hopefully tomorrow ill feel better. Please let it move freely! Haha!! I do not want to remove the speedometer.

·
Registered
153 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Ok, so I took off the cable from the back of the speedo and that piece spun free. Although it was covered in a grey grease... Then I did the drill on the bottom and the needle just jumped and shook in the same spot. Question; how far should the square pieces be sticking in each end? Also on the speedo end, there was a round thing around the squar part. Like a gasket or an oring, but it seemed bad. Any suggestions on what to do next? Thanks!

·
Registered
887 Posts
Sounds like you need to pull the speedo and overhaul it! Before you put the speedo back in pull the cable clean and lube it so you don't have to pull it later!

·
Registered
153 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
Sounds like you need to pull the speedo and overhaul it! Before you put the speedo back in pull the cable clean and lube it so you don't have to pull it later!
That is exactly what I didn't want to hear! Could it be possible that the cable isn't reaching all the way into the speedo?

·
Registered
153 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
Also, why is it that when I'm driving, I get nothing? Maybe the gear is worn on the trans as well?

·
Registered
153 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
Also, why is it that when I'm driving, I get nothing? Maybe the gear is worn on the trans as well?
Bumping this back up. I still haven't done anything and am going to mess with it now. Going to try to get it fixed once and for all!

·
Registered
153 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
Bumping this back up. I still haven't done anything and am going to mess with it now. Going to try to get it fixed once and for all!
It has a red gear in the transmission, I thought the 3 speed with out overdrive had the green? One tooth also looks lower than the rest. I stuck my finger inside and felt the gear but couldn't feel all the way around as it didn't turn...

1 - 19 of 19 Posts