Chevy Tri Five Forum banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
1,154 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Yep, still having speedometer issues after all this time.

What it does is, get stuck - the needle sort of fights it's way up, and then just sticks at a point and stays there regardless of how fast I go. In fact, I can stop, get out of the car, and it will still be showing that I am moving. (Slam the door hard enough and it drops back to zero)

Now, I know the speedometer itself works when its out of the car. Using advice from this forum, I popped out the brass plug in the rear and lubed it up. If I spin the shaft the speedometer cable goes into by hand or with a drill, the speedometer needle moves smoothly and quietly.

However, if you apply any pressure to the shaft that the speedometer cable goes into, the needle gets stuck in place until you let go.

Also, I know the speedometer cable and tranny speedometer adapter are working, because the odometer works smoothly when the car is in motion.

What I am assuming is happening is that when I thread the speedometer cable onto the speedometer housing, its applying pressure to that shaft and causing the speedometer to get stuck. However, I have tried loosing the cable; heck right now I think its only engaged by a thread or two. However it didn't do anything to affect the issue.

Has anyone run into this before? I'm not really sure what to do at this point, other than gauge my speed using the tach. (Which I've actually gotten good at) :D Normally I wouldn't worry about it, but since all the individual components are working, it doesn't seem like it should be tough to make the system work.....

·
Registered
111 Posts
thought i would tell you what fixed mine. i had the same problem with the needle bumping then getting stuck not showing anything until about 35 then it would stick at about 55. i took it all apart. cleaned, re-lubed, made sure it would engage, oiled with the brass plug out. still the same problem. I was complaining to my father and he said it was the wrong lube...yeah right, he took it out and put the thickest lube i had laying around. that thing would barely turn by hand but when hooked up it was smooth like butter and would go up and down just like new. i couldnt believe it. anyhow that is my story and 6 months later is working like a charm still. :anim_25:

·
Registered
3,493 Posts
Have you removed the cable from it sheath and cleaned and lubed the cable? there is a specific lubricant for the cable. I think you can get it from Gm (not sure).

Don

·
Registered
1,154 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Forgot to mention, the cable is only about 3 weeks old.

·
Premium Member
1957 Chevy Bel Air Convertible; ZZ4 w HEI ign; 700r4; 9" rear w/3:50 gears; pwr disc fr w drum rear
1,996 Posts
However, if you apply any pressure to the shaft that the speedometer cable goes into, the needle gets stuck in place until you let go.
This is the part that sounds "off" to me. Putting pressure on the shaft housing or cable insert area shouldn't bind up the needle movement. Sounds like something might be loose deeper in the speedometer.

I would take it completely apart and make sure it's put together right and that nothing is loose or getting hung up. If you go on Eckler's site into the speedometer rebuilding/refacing parts area you can find PDF files on dismantling/rebuilding a speedometer, it's a pretty good guide.

Sticking at a single spot on the dial sure doesn't sound like a cable problem to me.....sound like the internals of the speedometer are getting bound up.

Ace

1 - 5 of 5 Posts