Chevy Tri Five Forum banner
1 - 20 of 30 Posts

·
Registered
Nomads 55-57,69Z28-RS,72ElCamino, Corvette(5)
10,044 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
(Unknown writer)
I had spent an hour in the bank with my dad, as he had to transfer some money. I couldn't resist myself & asked...
''Dad, why don't we activate your internet banking?''
''Why would I do that?'' He asked...
''Well, then you wont have to spend an hour here for things like transfer.
You can even do your shopping online. Everything will be so easy!''
I was so excited about initiating him into the world of Net banking.
He asked ''If I do that, I wont have to step out of the house?
''Yes, yes''! I said. I told him how even grocery can be delivered at door now and how amazon delivers everything!
His answer left me tongue-tied.
He said ''Since I entered this bank today, I have met four of my friends, I have chatted a while with the staff who know me very well by now.
You know I am alone...this is the company that I need. I like to get ready and come to the bank. I have enough time, it is the physical touch that I crave.
Two years back I got sick, The store owner from whom I buy fruits, came to see me and sat by my bedside and cried.
When your Mom fell down few days back while on her morning walk. Our local grocer saw her and immediately got his car to rush her home as he knows where I live.
Would I have that 'human' touch if everything became online?
Why would I want everything delivered to me and force me to interact with just my computer?
I like to know the person that I'm dealing with and not just the 'seller'. It creates bonds of Relationships.
Does Amazon deliver all this as well?'''
Technology isn't life..
Spend time with people .. Not with devices.

·
Registered
1,916 Posts
Not to nearly the same extent, but I find myself more than willing to spend a few dollars more and drive clear across town for something I could easily order online. Part of it is for instant gratification, but reading this, I realize it’s also because I enjoy the interaction

·
Administrator
1957 Bel Air sport sedan
11,076 Posts
I’m starting to get the same way. I’m spending waaaay too much time at Ace Hardware instead of just ordering it on Amazon.

·
Premium Member
57 210 post dressed as a Bel Air
627 Posts
(Unknown writer)
I had spent an hour in the bank with my dad, as he had to transfer some money. I couldn't resist myself & asked...
''Dad, why don't we activate your internet banking?''
''Why would I do that?'' He asked...
''Well, then you wont have to spend an hour here for things like transfer.
You can even do your shopping online. Everything will be so easy!''
I was so excited about initiating him into the world of Net banking.
He asked ''If I do that, I wont have to step out of the house?
''Yes, yes''! I said. I told him how even grocery can be delivered at door now and how amazon delivers everything!
His answer left me tongue-tied.
He said ''Since I entered this bank today, I have met four of my friends, I have chatted a while with the staff who know me very well by now.
You know I am alone...this is the company that I need. I like to get ready and come to the bank. I have enough time, it is the physical touch that I crave.
Two years back I got sick, The store owner from whom I buy fruits, came to see me and sat by my bedside and cried.
When your Mom fell down few days back while on her morning walk. Our local grocer saw her and immediately got his car to rush her home as he knows where I live.
Would I have that 'human' touch if everything became online?
Why would I want everything delivered to me and force me to interact with just my computer?
I like to know the person that I'm dealing with and not just the 'seller'. It creates bonds of Relationships.
Does Amazon deliver all this as well?'''
Technology isn't life..
Spend time with people .. Not with devices.
That makes someone's father rare. He doesn't just have knowledge about his interactions with others, He has wisdom. That makes him rare among men and makes his kid a fortunate son. Thanks for sharing.
When I first read this I didn't notice the "unknown writer" statement. Insightful piece of writing

·
Registered
Nomads 55-57,69Z28-RS,72ElCamino, Corvette(5)
10,044 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Once we retire this becomes even more important, when we don't have the daily interaction with co workers.

·
Premium Member
1,060 Posts
So True, we don't know what we have till it's gone. When I was running my agency I would go to the bank and make my premium deposits, I would ALWAYS get out of my vehicle and walk in to the bank to make the transaction. Even in bad weather, IT not only made me appreciate the tellers, I interacted "one on one" with them. Never used the drive through except during covid when I had to, hated it. Just like Cheers, everybody knows your name!
One local banking institution that held my vehicle loan did away with tellers and started to use kiosks in the bank. When I got a survey on how I liked their bank I told them I would never voluntarily bank with them, they followed up with WHY ? I said you have no people ! I like people, I'm not talking to a computer, same as the self checkouts at stores, Not my style. I'm recently retired now and would rather wait in line and talk to somebody when I spend my hard earned money. Also I would like to know where all that so called SAVINGS went to anyway by implementing all this. Vanished !
Plus I like to make checks out when I pay some bills, not all, I admit I have auto payment deductions set up and I use my debit card, but When I make a check out I see were my hard earned dollars go. This Reminds me, I have to run to the bank and order more checks !

·
Registered
🐔County, TN. 55 Bel Air Sport Coupe
10,292 Posts
Got to admit that sometimes one of the highlights of my day is talking to the UPS driver. :( :)? If I hear the truck, I'll go out and meet him so he doesn't have to walk to the porch. He is a really great guy and I don't know how many places he sits and talks so long, it can't be many. Although this is sort of past tense, he got his routes swapped and I rarely see him. He would sit in the truck stretching and what not just taking a well deserved break as he talked away about most anything. Now the new guy is getting talkative!

·
Registered
1956 Corvette upgraded to 57 RPO 579D, including SB400, Rochester FI, Muncie, HD brakes/susp
1,515 Posts
I guess it's just the difference in the world us old timers and the young whipper snappers grew up in.
I despise cell phones and related type devices, with a passion
There are only three forums I visit, this is one, and sometimes when someone is having some difficulty with an issue, I post my phone number and tell them to call me.
I REFUSE, repeat, REFUSE to go through a drive through!!!! ANY drive through. Pizzes my wife off to the max. Sorry!
If you want to communicate with me, come see me or call me.

Oh ya, speaking of phones, how many of you can use one of these? We have about 20 in our house THAT WORK, and one of them will take your money!
Table Corded phone Output device Telephone Peripheral

Picture frame Wood Gas Electronic device Telephone

Corded phone Table Telephone Telephony Input device

Wood Table Cabinetry Electrical wiring Audio equipment

Brown Handle Wood Picture frame Dead bolt

Property Building Fixture Handle Door

Table Telephone Desk Electrical wiring Corded phone

Picture frame Drinkware Serveware Wood Table

Countertop Property Cabinetry Building Wood

·
Registered
10,292 Posts
Plus I like to make checks out when I pay some bills, not all, I admit I have auto payment deductions set up and I use my debit card, but When I make a check out I see were my hard earned dollars go. This Reminds me, I have to run to the bank and order more checks !
Oh I hate writing checks. I pay all my bills online except for one vendor who only accepts checks. I actually pay more to a different vendor just because I can pay for the stuff with a click of the mouse. I do go into the bank, and the drug store (a bit too often there!) At this point in life I love all the automatic payment deductions. I'll check my balances and recent activity every week or two and if all the balances are good and have some extra for savings, I figure I'm good. Now there is a new teller I'm not sure how to describe and don't want to say anything politically incorrect. He seems like a good guy, but looks a little funny in the dresses he wears.

·
Registered
3,702 Posts
Once we retire this becomes even more important, when we don't have the daily interaction with co workers.
So true. Having recently retired (took a voluntary package offered to everyone "over a certain age") - if I don't hang out here annoying you guys, who am I going to annoy other than my wife? :)

·
Registered
10,292 Posts
I guess it's just the difference in the world us old timers and the young whipper snappers grew up in.
I despise cell phones and related type devices, with a passion
I had the receptionist at the dentist laugh and say "you still have an answering machine?".
Did you have to have the phone company turn up the power for your phone ring? I know long long ago when I added another phone with a real bell, all of the phones would hardly ring. The phone company upped the ring signal and they all worked again. On the one I wish I would have kept, I told the phone company that the lighted dial didn't light anymore. They sent me a little plug in transformer to connect to the phone to power the light. Evidently all those little lights added up on their electric bill!

·
Registered
3,702 Posts
I had the receptionist at the dentist laugh and say "you still have an answering machine?".
Did you have to have the phone company turn up the power for your phone ring? I know long long ago when I added another phone with a real bell, all of the phones would hardly ring. The phone company upped the ring signal and they all worked again. On the one I wish I would have kept, I told the phone company that the lighted dial didn't light anymore. They sent me a little plug in transformer to connect to the phone to power the light. Evidently all those little lights added up on their electric bill!
Yep.

My first job out of college was with a company that made telephone central office equipment (all the electronics that actually made your landline phone work). Phones with an actual bell always had a "ringer equivalent" number on them. The phone company needed to know how many ringer bells they were trying to drive in order to supply the appropriate current.

·
Registered
397 Posts
If you've been to any Airport over the past 5 years or so, you'll see what a negative social impact the Cellphone has created. Almost no one is talking to another human being, everyone is staring at their phones, avioding human contact.

I see this as well at restaurants, where a couple eating their dinner both are staring at their phones, not talking.

IMO, parents need to control how much time their kids spend on PED's, explaining the importance of social interaction, good manners, etc. Hopefully when these kids grow up, they will carry these life lessons with them, and learn to communicate and interact with others.

·
Registered
10,292 Posts
Yep.

My first job out of college was with a company that made telephone central office equipment (all the electronics that actually made your landline phone work). Phones with an actual bell always had a "ringer equivalent" number on them. The phone company needed to know how many ringer bells they were trying to drive in order to supply the appropriate current.
Yes I now recall that "ringer equivalent" and the newer phones used to list the number that was in the tenths or hundreths I believe. The real bell ringers where 1.3 or something. Just guessing at the numbers, but the difference is what I'm pointing out. Just looked at my office phone and I don't see any number for it.

·
Stainless Trim Restoration
11,953 Posts
Must be in a small town......because large town people today don't want to know who is around them....and I cannot blame them.

Raised in a small town. Move to a large city with lots of things.......now live in a small town again, drive to the big city for the things
I need there and drive back. Most of the time, my doors are not locked for fear of someone wanting to break in.

Mikey

·
Registered
7,384 Posts
Communication is a lost art with younger folks. Some years back I watched my granddaughter and her best friend sitting on our couch and both were texting. I asked them why they were texting others instead of talking to each other? They told me they were talking to each other, by texts! Good grief!
I told them to put their phones away and just talk to each other. They did, and within minutes they were laughing, and actually having a lot more fun than texting.

·
Registered
397 Posts
Communication is a lost art with younger folks. Some years back I watched my granddaughter and her best friend sitting on our couch and both were texting. I asked them why they were texting others instead of talking to each other? They told me they were talking to each other, by texts! Good grief!
I told them to put their phones away and just talk to each other. They did, and within minutes they were laughing, and actually having a lot more fun than texting.
Same here. We have 4 grandkids, and when we have a family party, their first instinct is to sit around and stare at their PED's. I nicely confiscate the devices, and suggest that we go outside and do something. It's amazing how much fun they have playing Hide - n - seek, tag, or a pick up game of baseball, etc. They just need to be influenced a little, and they have a ton of fun.

And they actually speak to each other!!!

·
Registered
1956 Corvette upgraded to 57 RPO 579D, including SB400, Rochester FI, Muncie, HD brakes/susp
1,515 Posts
SOMETIMES (depending on situation) when some of the kids or grandkids come to our house, I either tell them NO cell phones, OR, leave the GD cell phone out in the car. Believe it or not, they comply.
Our BIG family gathering is Thanksgiving and EVERYONE is visiting and talking to each other. Sometimes with all the conversations going on, it's hard to tell who it talking to who. We have a great Thanksgiving WITHOUT cell phone distractions!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Oh ya, by the way, the pay phone and the old wood wall phone are unplugged MOST of the time, because when there is an incoming call, they sounds like a fire alarm!
Picture frame Furniture Building Fixture Door

Picture frame Wood Gas Electronic device Telephone

·
Registered
7,384 Posts
great Thanksgiving WITHOUT cell phone distractions!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Oh ya, by the way, the pay phone and the old wood wall phone are unplugged MOST of the time, because when there is an incoming call, they sounds like a fire alarm

View attachment 369448
I have one of those old wall phones sitting in a box in the basement, and always wanted to make it work for our home phone. I was doing electrical work in an old building, and the building manager asked me to rip it out and toss it! I couldn't believe he didn't want it, and I sure did. I need to get busy and see if it can work with our phone lines.

1 - 20 of 30 Posts