Chevy Tri Five Forum banner
21 - 30 of 30 Posts

·
Registered
1956 Corvette upgraded to 57 RPO 579D, including SB400, Rochester FI, Muncie, HD brakes/susp
1,515 Posts
I have one of those old wall phones sitting in a box in the basement, and always wanted to make it work for our home phone. I was doing electrical work in an old building, and the building manager asked me to rip it out and toss it! I couldn't believe he didn't want it, and I sure did. I need to get busy and see if it can work with our phone lines.
Here are a couple of places you can contact for assistance in getting an antique working and compatible with your home phone system.
In my book, whatever it takes to get it functional, I feel it is worth it.
If you call my house, I can pick up and talk on ANY of my old phones, and I can dial out on the rotary phones. People can't believe they work so well, and the young generation has NEVER seen, nor talked on an old rotary dial phone.

·
Registered
129 Posts
I went to the Doctors office last week and after checking in (electronically of course) I took a seat. As I was sitting there, I noticed about 15 people there, each with a cell phone in their hands. Each one engrossed in either a text, a game or the internet, but each lost in their own little world. Except for one person. A little Lady about 80 years old was sitting there clutching her purse staring straight ahead. She did not have a cell phone. I started wondering just how we would react sitting in a room with 15 other people 30 years ago. How did we occupy our time then? Did we read the two-year-old magazines there, or did we strike up a conversation with the person next to us? As I sat there, I wondered what the old Lady must be thinking about this scene. Not one word was said by anyone. There was no need. Everyone was lost in their own world, except that one old woman. She was lost in her own world without a cell phone. I took out my cell phone and checked my email and got lost in my own world too.

·
Registered
🐔County, TN. 55 Bel Air Sport Coupe
10,292 Posts
Here are a couple of places you can contact for assistance in getting an antique working and compatible with your home phone system.
In my book, whatever it takes to get it functional, I feel it is worth it.
If you call my house, I can pick up and talk on ANY of my old phones, and I can dial out on the rotary phones. People can't believe they work so well, and the young generation has NEVER seen, nor talked on an old rotary dial phone.

I wonder how long it will be before the phone companies stop using the old click click click to decipher the number you are calling? Or maybe they will just leave it and hope people keep using land lines that they are probably loosing money on these days. So many people without a land line, yet they need to keep the same amount or wires working. Well sort of. I noticed my land line wire is broken and hanging there about 3/10 a mile away. Don't know if they would fix it if I wanted a land line again?

·
Registered
1956 Corvette upgraded to 57 RPO 579D, including SB400, Rochester FI, Muncie, HD brakes/susp
1,515 Posts
I wonder how long it will be before the phone companies stop using the old click click click to decipher the number you are calling? --------------------------------------------------------------------------------
For people like me who have, and want to be able to use, old style rotary dial phones, there is an electronic device available (about $50) that connects BETWEEN the phone wire and the wall outlet. It converts the clicks from the rotary dial to a modern tone signal. I bought 2, they work.

Many of our visitors are amazed that all my old phones will work. One of my sons lives out of state, and when they come to visit, my granddaughter likes to call her friend back home on the pay phone in the phone booth (and shut the door so no one hears her). The light and fan still work when the door is closed.

About 2yrs ago, my son asked if I had an extra rotary dial phone that he could have. I pulled one out, cleaned it up, check to make sure it worked and shipped it to him.

I almost have a complete collection of Okla City phone books going back to 1926, up to when the phone company stopped issuing phone books. The book next to the phone below is the 1926 OKC phone book.
Corded phone Bookcase Furniture Telephone Book

·
Registered
Nomads 55-57,69Z28-RS,72ElCamino, Corvette(5)
10,044 Posts
Discussion Starter · #25 ·
I wonder how many of the numbers included in that 1926 OKC Phone book are still 'valid'??? :)

• Haha
Reactions: 55 Tony

·
Registered
🐔County, TN. 55 Bel Air Sport Coupe
10,292 Posts
For people like me who have, and want to be able to use, old style rotary dial phones, there is an electronic device available (about $50) that connects BETWEEN the phone wire and the wall outlet. It converts the clicks from the rotary dial to a modern tone signal. I bought 2, they work.
That's cool! I was wondering how you got enough power out of the phone company to ring all those bells!

Did you ever, now or with the old phone system, "dial" using the hang up button/cradle? All you have to do is click click click (3) slight pause, click click (2) pause and so on with the number of clicks for each digit of the phone number you are calling. An old friend had a much much newer pay phone that he hung in his man cave and it would ring and you could answer it, but the touch tone buttons wouldn't work. One night I showed the gang how I could call home by clicking it. They thought that was pretty cool. That was in PA about 22 years ago, don't know if they still support the clicks. Actually I think we had this conversation once before? Or am I having de javu?

·
Premium Member
57 210 post dressed as a Bel Air
627 Posts
I started on a party line system when you could pick up the phone and some lady would say, "number please". Our home phone was 108M. You could also ask for the "A&P Grocery" or other well-known business places or the hospital. And, of course, there was the joy of having noisy folks listening in on your calls. Our ring code two regular rings, my Grand folks were a long and short ring. Now I can do the same just talking to a little plastic box of chips and other weird things and the only one's snooping are government initial folks NSA, FBI or who knows what. Ain't that great!

·
Registered
2,943 Posts
My paternal grandfather worked for the Pioneer telephone co. until 1905 in OKC. He was the chief engineer and designed the early networks for the city. He then opened the first auto repair garage in OKC and operated it for many years.

21 - 30 of 30 Posts