Chevy Tri Five Forum banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
55 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I've got a '56 Bel Air, with lower green and upper yellow. I've been liking the looks of things like steel wheels with "spider caps", but I haven't been able to find many photos of 50s cars with them on, mostly older hot rods. Here's one I did find, but didn't help me decide: http://www.flickr.com/photos/vintageroadside/2823238319. Anyone have these or something similarly "hot roddy"? Maybe some center caps? The one other strong consideration would be some baby moons or similar. I love the look of the chrome center with the color around it.

I'm trying to decide if spider caps or something similar would work with the paint scheme and the 50s cars in general. I have the original wheels, and would have to get them blasted and then paint them up. I'm thinking they would be the same green.

Thanks for any ideas, Ian

Attachments

·
Registered
1,960 Posts
56 wheels

Ian, I just bought a 56-210 for a driver and it was painted originally like yours but about 30 years ago someone painted it all the Crocus Yellow...(top and bottom). I just bought a set of Rally wheels and caps for it and will post pics once the wheels are installed. Pics below are how it looks now with stock wheels and dog-dish hubcaps. :blowtiedb: JIM.

Attachments

·
Registered
55 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Yeah, I like those. A bit more detail than the baby moons. Do you know if there's a specific name for those or what they were probably from?

·
Registered
1,960 Posts
Rallys

Yeah, I like those. A bit more detail than the baby moons. Do you know if there's a specific name for those or what they were probably from?
The Rallys I ordered (off ebay) were originally on a Camaro or Nova (67-72 vintage). They're actually called "Rally Wheels". I have heard of a Rally II wheel but I think it has more slots in it than the ones I'm getting.:anim_25: JIM.

Attachments

·
Registered
55 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Oop, sorry, I was actually curious if the caps you already have on your car have a specific name. They look good on there.

·
Registered
1,960 Posts
hubcaps

Oop, sorry, I was actually curious if the caps you already have on your car have a specific name. They look good on there.
Ian, if you google "dog-dish" hubcaps you'll get a number of different designs to choose from. I think it is just a generic term for the hubcaps that do not cover the entire rim. I found some very nice ones on ebay. Again, just search for "dog dish hubcaps" and you'll see a bunch to choose from.:blowtiedb: JIM.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts