Chevy Tri Five Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Premium Member
1,572 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
When I got my car 4 years ago, I took it to a local mechanic and ask that they replace the spin on oil filter with the cannister oil filter that it had originally. This was four years ago, and at the time I wasn't sure if I knew the carb from the distributor.

Long story short, they said that they couldn't install the cannister because the bypass valve was missing. I knew there were two types of adapters, but at the time I just didn't question it. They gave me the part number for the filter they put on, and I have changed it quite a few times now myself. The part number they gave me was WIX 51069. I switched to K &N HP2002 after a while.

Today while looking at filters, I realized this is for the Chevrolet style filter, not the Ford style spin on filter that eliminates the bypass valve.

Is it possible to use the Chevrolet filter on a Ford style adapter? I think that it is more than likely that I have the Chevrolet style spin on adapter, but just wonder if it is possible that I have been using the wrong filer all this time?

·
Registered
36,113 Posts
I'm no expert on the adapters. Maybe things have changed, but in the past most of the adapters on the market take a Ford style filter with a bypass built into the filter. They could make them cheaper since a bypass valve was not required in the adapter.

If you look at the top of the Wix 51069 filter (or its cross references like an AC Delco PF25, you'll see that the gasket that seals it from leaking to the outside is near the outer diameter. If you look at a Fram PH8A filter, there's a similar gasket but it's positioned about 1/4" inside of where the GM gasket would be. Now does that cause a problem if you mix them up when using an adapter? Depends on how the adapter is made.

If a GM filter would scew onto an adapter made for a Ford filter and not leak, you wouldn't have a bypass valve. If a Ford filter would screw onto an adapter made for a GM filter and not leak, you'd have two bypass valves.

I realize I haven't answered your question, just brought up some other stuff.

Maybe someone has further knowedge on this stuff.

·
Administrator & Tech Articles
50,357 Posts
Thomas....I have an oil filter conversion article attached that talks about the bypass valve:

Attachments

·
Premium Member
1,572 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Thank for the article. This adapter calls for a 3rd type of oil filter.

This is the main reason I go back to stock parts. Who knows what adapter the po used?

I am going to change the oil today and see if visual inspection can reveal anything.

If it's the Chevrolet style, my bypass valve should still be in place. All I would need to accomplish the conversion back to the cannister style would be the bolts that hold the Bypass valve in place? I suppose the bolts that come in the kit would be too long if the adapter plate were removed?

Anyone know off the top of their head what the correct bolts would be?

Sent from my SM-G965U using Tapatalk

·
50,357 Posts
Thomas....I found this info in a past thread:

There are two styles of spin on oil filter adapters for 1956-67 Chevrolet V8 engines. The first style is used in conjunction with the stock canister style bypass valve and uses a Chevrolet type spin on filter. This design relies on a felt washer to seal the adapter to the bypass valve. If the felt washer fails unfiltered oil will bypass the filter. Even worse pieces of the felt washer can come off and travel directly to the engine bearings. I never use this style of adapter.

The second design is the one I prefer. It uses a Ford style spin on filter. These filters have a built in bypass valve so there is no need to use the old canister bypass valve. To install this adapter you simply remove the old bypass valve, bolt the adapter directly to the block, and spin on a new filter. There is no felt washer to worry about and it uses the most common filter on the market.

·
50,357 Posts
Is it possible to use the Chevrolet filter on a Ford style adapter? I think that it is more than likely that I have the Chevrolet style spin on adapter, but just wonder if it is possible that I have been using the wrong filer all this time?
I agree with you....From everything I've read: If you are using a Chevy filter, the bypass valve has not been removed....And if you are using a Ford filter, it has been removed.

Once you remove the filter and compare the adaptor to those shown in photos of my last reply, it should be readily apparant which one you have.

·
Premium Member
1,572 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Didn't quite get to the oil change this weekend. But this is a short work week for me, so in addition to some holiday cooking, I am going to add that to my list. If it turns out that the bypass filter is still in place, I may just go back to the cannister style filter.

·
Premium Member
4,403 Posts
My ’57 has the Ford adaptor. I just wipe off the logo on the canisters when changing. ;)

1 - 8 of 8 Posts