Chevy Tri Five Forum banner
1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Registered
297 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey guys. I am looking into a split manifold for my 57 235. I want it to sound deep. No chainsaw or rice burner sound. Does anyone have a suggestion on muffler and split manifold/ header combo?

·
Administrator & Tech Articles
51,691 Posts

·
Administrator & Tech Articles
51,691 Posts

·
Premium Member
11,669 Posts
Clifford also made a long tube header which they no longer make. The headers are cool and sound great but one thing you should know if you decide to use them is that the flanges tend to warp a bit after they have been used for a little while so they usually have to have some weld added to the sealing face of the flange and ground straight after they warp. Usually only need to do this once. You can also make your own split manifold out of a stock manifold.

·
Registered
297 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Clifford also made a long tube header which they no longer make. The headers are cool and sound great but one thing you should know if you decide to use them is that the flanges tend to warp a bit after they have been used for a little while so they usually have to have some weld added to the sealing face of the flange and ground straight after they warp. Usually only need to do this once. You can also make your own split manifold out of a stock manifold.
Will the stock manifold sound good split? I'm trying to decide if I want a split manifold or not

·
Registered
106 Posts
I have a dual exhaust manifold on my 235 in my 56 Belair. It was a rare dealer add on option, they used the dual exhaust manifold from the 1955 Corvette six cylinder, if you want to try to keep stock. I'm not sure how hard they are to find.

Attachments

·
Premium Member
11,669 Posts
Interestingly enough the stock manifold can be split in three different ways, at least that I am aware of, depending on how you want the exhaust to sound. As an initial matter, splitting the stock manifold may allow you to retain the stock exhaust heat feature depending on the intake you are using, which is a good benefit. So for instance, my Weiand 2 x 1 intake was manufactured so that it could be bolted to the stock exhaust manifold and provide heat to the bottom of the intake (necessary for proper fuel atomization with these 6 motors). So, splitting a stock manifold may allow you to retain this feature. Now to the actual split. The traditional method is to cut the manifold so that one half dealt with the front three cylinders and had the exhaust heat butterfly ect. and the other part was strictly the back three cylinders with no involvement with the exhaust heat. You then cut a hole on the back manifold to provide a new outlet for the exhaust gases, and welded a flange for the new additional outlet (which were sold by a lot of companies, Almquest and JC Whitney come to mind, and I think I have seen them on ebay recently). then you welded a plate at the cut end to button up that manifold. For the front, same thing, just weld a plate on the cut end to button up. Can also do the cut the other way around depending on clearance issues. This is a traditional true split manifold and will give the most in the way of a rapping exhaust sound. There are two alternatives. the first is to not cut the manifold in half, but to just cut an additional outlet and weld in a new exhaust flange. This will be a pretty quiet set up. the other alternative for something in between is to cut the manifold in half, and weld in a plate that has a hole in it, say an inch or larger depending on the effect you want, and re-weld both halves back together. Not a true split, but allows the traditional rap sound, but on a little quieter basis. I have done all three in the past, but always liked the true split. Then I moved to tube headers for the slightly better performance. One note on the welding, welding these manifolds can be a little bit of a pain. The cast iron has quite of bit of carbon impregnated by the years of use and so the welds can sputter and spatter and may have to be redone a couple of times to get them solid. At least that was my experience, although I am of course the worlds worst welder, lol.

·
Registered
370 Posts
I have a dual exhaust manifold on my 235 in my 56 Belair. It was a rare dealer add on option, they used the dual exhaust manifold from the 1955 Corvette six cylinder, if you want to try to keep stock. I'm not sure how hard they are to find.
hard to find and costly. All the deep pocket 53-54 Corvette guys want them and so do the average Joe six-banger folks.

·
Premium Member
11,669 Posts
Right, profoundly hard to come by. That reality, along with the limitations of the Clifford tube header and some of the attendant challenges that come with using those headers, really spawned the renewed interest in the Fenton cast iron manifolds and ultimately the reproduction of that style header and the version sold by Stovebolt engine company. Interestingly, Fenton at one time back in the day had a split cast iron manifold for the chevy six that was cast with a stock type exhaust heat set up as opposed to the ineffective copper tubes. These manifolds are also very hard to come by and I have only seen one set in all the years I have been playing with this stuff.

·
Registered
8,777 Posts
Split exhaust

I'm not very knowledgeable about sixes but looking at the pictures for the new ones, it looks like only four exhaust inlets. A six cylinder head doesn't have six ports. Just curious, thanks.

Joe

·
Premium Member
11,669 Posts
Na, these early style 6 motors have four ports. Cylinders 1 and 6 exit into dedicated ports, while 2 and 3, and 4 and 5 are Siamesed.

·
Premium Member
11,669 Posts
There are a couple of wacky things on these 6 motors, the Siamesed exhaust ports included. The original design goes back to the 1920s. Good rugged design but not like a Ferrari, lol. The later 6 motors like the 194, 230, 250 and 292 have more in common with the Chevy V8.

image.jpg

·
Registered
7 Posts
Split manifold

I bought a set of Fenton headers years back for my 235. They are still going great. The note is about as good as you can get it, and theres a certain rpm range where it sounds really nice. Fenton might be worth looking at, and i bought them when i was in highschool so they couldnt have been too expensive!

1 - 20 of 25 Posts