Chevy Tri Five Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
120 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I need to put in my coil springs. I need to buy a spring compressor. Is there a good Bad, or better one to use? Harbor fright, Craftsman, Snap-on? I would like to put the springs without loosing my fingers, hands or anything else. Got any suggestions?

·
Registered
206 Posts
Auto Zone and Checker both have "loaner" tools - spring compressors included - for free (you leave a refundable deposit). I just got done doing exactly what you're about to do. The quality of the tool is better than you'll buy at Harbor Freight, and it's free!

·
Registered
36,125 Posts
Do a search. A homemade tool that costs about $15 will do the trick. Some threaded rod and some fittings for it.

The loaner tools at the auto supply usually don't fit the springs on our cars.

·
Administrator & Tech Articles
50,371 Posts
You can make a spring compressor almost the same as the one shown in the '57 Shop Manual.....You'll need:

2' of 1/2" all thread, high strength all thread is good if you can get it but it's not required
One 1/2" coupler nut (nut used to connect allthread to other things)
3 regular 1/2" coarse thread nuts
2, 1/2" lockwashers
An eyebolt with 1/2" coarse thread
The crossbar, rubber bushing and lower retaining bolts from an old front shock (you didn't throw them away did you?)
2 high quality (thick) 1/2" flat washers

All these willl cost you under $15 at the hardware store.
Join the all thread and the eye bolt with the coupler nut and use 2 of the regular nuts as jam nuts.

·
Premium Member
1,481 Posts
What ever tool you decide to use, just dont forget to use a safety chain while installing the springs.

·
Premium Member
7,488 Posts
Homemade compressor

Years ago I made one like above but didn't use the old shock tiebar. It slipped almost got hit by flying spring. This is the same principal as Ecklers but Eklers is fancy for about $119 .but they do work well.also a little anti sieze on the allthread and washers doesn't hurt either.:rolleyes:

·
Registered
13,410 Posts
What ever tool you decide to use, just dont forget to use a safety chain while installing the springs.
I didn't. With the rod in the middle, it can't go anywhere.

·
Registered
36,125 Posts
"With the rod in the middle, it can't go anywhere."

Unless the threaded rod breaks. Or the bottom fitting breaks or bends, which someone just described. The threaded rod can break if you put it in a bending load. So take care not to do that if you use that kind of spring compressor.

I don't care what tool you use, be safe with reasonable precautions and don't put yourself in the way if something were to let go.

·
Registered
792 Posts
never used a spring cmpresser on my 57 or 55 never found one that would work, i would get in about a little over half way connect upper control arm and after that get the biggest hammer i got and smack it home,not the right for sure, but it has always worked for me.not saying you should do that but i never found a spring compresser that worked for me. rick

1 - 10 of 10 Posts