Chevy Tri Five Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Administrator
48,728 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I installed the 5 leaf leaf springs on my 57 when i assembled it. This is when the tires/wheels were first mounted:

This is after gas tank has some gas in it and a few more pieces installed:

This is just a few months back:

I liked it a lot better to begin with. I`ll have to come up with a solution to get the back end back up an inch or two now. :D
Terry

·
Premium Member
989 Posts
You can always go with air shocks or the adjustable coil booster springs over shocks. I also installed the 5 leafs thinking they would raise the car a few inches but it didn't happen. I used the coil booster option. I'd reccommend going with the after market shock bar so you don't pound the heck out of your trunk floor pan.
ken 57

·
Premium Member
993 Posts
I agree that air shocks are an easy way to go, and I like having them on our '55. It'a a cheap way to get the ride height exactly where you want it. By the way, is there any trick to removing and replacing the rear leaf springs? Are they under pressure and difficult to remove replace, or do they come right off?

·
Registered
7,327 Posts
I agree that air shocks are an easy way to go, and I like having them on our '55. It'a a cheap way to get the ride height exactly where you want it. By the way, is there any trick to removing and replacing the rear leaf springs? Are they under pressure and difficult to remove replace, or do they come right off?
Jack the rear of the car up but not enough to have the tires off the ground, but have the shackles about in the middle of movement range. The worst part is getting the rear shackles off. Once you get the shackles off it's pretty easy.

·
Administrator
48,728 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
No air shocks for me guys. Been there, done that, don`t plan to go there again. Shock bar is done in place, installed while the body was off the frame. I may put the shackles back on it after this weekend.
Terry
Terry

·
Trifive on Facebook Admin
1,826 Posts
Terry, are you going for the "level" look? or just a little higher rear end?
I'm asking because I just installed 5 leaf springs on mine and will put 2" drop spindles on the front. I want that squat front end look but stock rear height.
thanks

·
Registered
5,855 Posts
Drop the ft!

·
Administrator
48,728 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Terry, are you going for the "level" look? or just a little higher rear end?
Dave it sits level now, i want the back end up a little.

Drop the ft!
No thanks Chuck. I want to drive my car and the dips around here are DEEP.
Terry

·
Registered
2,485 Posts
No air shocks for me guys. Been there, done that, don`t plan to go there again. Shock bar is done in place, installed while the body was off the frame. I may put the shackles back on it after this weekend.
Terry
Terry
Terry as you know... I have been fighting the same issue with my '57. I am going to be adding shackles to my '57 to bring the rear back up after the Goodguys show. :happy0030:

·
Registered
36,113 Posts
It's all relative, I would wish my lowering springs would settle as much as I'd want, but they aren't going to, have to start over.

·
Registered
56 Posts
I have a 57 that is going to be a gasser. The plan for getting the rearend up in the air was seen on a 55. Move the rear springs inward to the middle of the frame. Welding a bracket to the bottom of the frame to hold the front eye of the spring. Then move the rear shackles to the middle of the frame and make short shackles to hold the rear eye of the spring. You should gain a few inches in height and keep the stock ride. Just add shock extensions to the rear shocks:anim_25:

1 - 13 of 13 Posts