Chevy Tri Five Forum banner
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
3,729 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Wanting to buy some leaf springs and coil springs for my '55 convertible.

I believe I want stock height springs and leafs. (I can use dropped spindles and lowering blocks to lower the car a little) I've performed a few searches and found conflicting information.

What brands are the best bang for the buck, and where to buy them?

So far I've found Posies and Detroit Eaton and both look promising, but a few don't like Posies.

·
Premium Member
426 Posts
springs

Wanting to buy some leaf springs and coil springs for my '55 convertible.

I believe I want stock height springs and leafs. (I can use dropped spindles and lowering blocks to lower the car a little) I've performed a few searches and found conflicting information.

What brands are the best bang for the buck, and where to buy them?

So far I've found Posies and Detroit Eaton and both look promising, but a few don't like Posies.
Geoff, I had QA1 coilovers (front) and 5 leaf rears (stock replacements). 56 Nomad rode horribly! Changed to stock fronts with 2" dropped spindles and Eaton 5 leaf rears w. 2" lowering blocks. Car rides better than new! TJN:gba:

·
Registered
3,729 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
I'm kinda interested in the Eaton springs because they seem to have several options and I haven't read anything negative about them.

What was the difference between the Eaton and the other replacement 5 leaf springs?

·
Registered
3,729 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
I put Moogs under my 55 sedan and bought them from Rock Auto.
Thanks, I totally forgot about buying springs from Rock Auto.

What springs did you order and how does it ride?

·
Administrator
50,561 Posts
The 5 leaf rear springs i installed on the rear of my 57 were Eaton springs. They ended up sagging/settling about 2" after all was said and done. I need to have them rearched or replace them since i don`t like the way the rear sits now.
Terry

·
Registered
3,729 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
The 5 leaf rear springs i installed on the rear of my 57 were Eaton springs. They ended up sagging/settling about 2" after all was said and done. I need to have them rearched or replace them since i don`t like the way the rear sits now.
Terry

Terry,

How does it ride with the 5 leaf springs? Please post a picture of how it sits now.

·
Administrator & Tech Articles
55,430 Posts
Geoff....Personally, I'd go with Espo Springs and Things:http://www.springsnthings.com/ Quality parts and great folks to deal with.....However, you will have to ask about leaf springs for the rear....I don't see them listed.

·
Administrator
50,561 Posts
Geoff here is a pic of it about the way it started, see the gap between the beauty ring and the tire:

After it started sagging it settled about 1 1/2" below the top of the beauty ring. Right now i have a pair of overload shocks on it. Need to get the springs rearched and get my KYB`s back on it.
Terry

·
Registered
379 Posts
springs

Check e bay. McVeigh has good springs. I have them on my 55. I bought the 3" over because I like little rake. The 3" over are a little much and I hope they will settle a little and with the extra arch ride is somewhat stiff but I expected that.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.