Chevy Tri Five Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
339 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
I need advice on purchasing or fabricating stainless steel brake lines. I don't have the tools so should I just buy all of them pre-made or buy some tools and fab my own. Also, who has good quality products and prices? Thanks. Steve

·
Administrator
1,297 Posts
Hi Steve
The biggest problem with doing stainless your self is one the investment in the flare tool , (if you expect quality flares) and two obviously the expence of the material . If you can you are best to buy the premaid kit . Not to say its a bad thing to do it your self but again SS lines can be stuborn .

www.stainlesssteelbrakes.com Hope this helps they have many kits available. ;)

·
Registered
339 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Good points. I think I will look into the getting a bender and practice a little on a short piece of tubing and then decide. I already have a decent flare tool and I need to fab a gas line too so it will probably save me quite a bit if I can do it myself. I know the stainless is pretty rigid so it will challenge.

Thanks guys and I'll let you know the outcome.
Steve

1,544 Posts
Brake lines need to be double flared and with stainless this can be very difficult even for the experianced mechanic and a special flarring set is needed, bending tubing is like welding, if you don't do it on a regular basis you loose the knack and can go through a lot of pipe getting it back. Just a thought. Good luck

·
Registered
4,668 Posts
You would be ahead of the game to get the preformed stainless kit in my opinion. When I bought my disc brake kit I opted for the regular lines. #1 cheaper #2 I don't plan on driving in the winter on salted roads #3 much easier to form to the area I want it to fit in.
Dave

·
Administrator
49,658 Posts
Steve also from my recent experience stainless is VERY hard to bend and most cheap benders will not bend it. And stainless is a lot harder to flare also than regular steel line.
Terry

1 - 7 of 7 Posts