Chevy Tri Five Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
945 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
OK, it finally dawned on me that I needed to move my 3 core radiator to the 6 cylinder position (forward of the core support).

I could not get the electric fan between the radiator and the water pump with the radiator in the V-8 position.

So now the plan is to mount the radiator ahead of the core support (in the 6 cylinder position).

The A/C condenser will get mounted in front of the radiator.

An electric fan with a fan shroud will be mounted on the back side of the radiator (a puller fan).

I am still wondering how best to mount the transmission cooler. I do not want to mount it underneath the car, I want it up front.

I am thinking about mounting it on the driver's side front core support area, sort of to the left (as you are sitting in the car) of the radiator.

Is that doable?

The plan for trans cooling is to go from the trans to the radiator cooler, then from the radiator cooler to the transmission cooler, then back to the transmission.

Also, the radiator core support area to the left of the radiator has a flat steel panel on it. I am assuming that I do not need to provide for air flow through the trans cooler and then through the core support.

OK, enough for now.

Thanks all.

·
Premium Member
13,142 Posts
Put it right in front of the condenser

·
Registered
945 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Another question...

Do I need to switch from a short water pump to a long water pump when I move the radiator forward of the radiator support? Can I use the existing short water pump with this arrangement?

·
Registered
7,202 Posts
Ed, if you're aren't using a mechanical engine driven fan, then the only other considerations are the mounts for your other accessories and your pulley arrangement. If you can get your acccessories mounted using the short WP and your necessary pulleys line up, you should be good ...

·
Premium Member
13,142 Posts
stick to the short pump.

·
Administrator & Tech Articles
48,745 Posts
I used a short water pump with a fan spacer to get mine 1/2 in & 1/2 out of the shroud.

·
Registered
945 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Definitely planning on an electric fan on the back side of the radiator.

The pulleys all line up fine with the short water pump, so I will leave it as is.

·
Registered
932 Posts
Unless you are going to be using a really high stall speed converter the extra cooler may be overkill and just cause you more trouble than necessary.

·
Registered
7,202 Posts
I think you will be fine with the trans cooler in the radiator without an extra cooler.
Agree... many millions of Chevy transmissions lived for years with only the radiator cooling function. There are other more simple cooling augmentations to do as well - such as the finned pans for the transmission...

·
Registered
616 Posts
photo of how radiator condenser cooler is mounted in my 56 agree with others a stock or near stock stall converter should be fine with radiator cooler only I did have high trans temp with a 2800 stall & radiator cooler only until the stacked plate cooler was added

Attachments

·
Registered
945 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
OK, the plan now is to mount the 3 core Champion aluminum radiator in the 6 cylinder position (forward of the core support), and mount the A/C condenser in front of the radiator.

I also plan to use an electric fan behind the radiator, along with a metal fan shroud.

So, where can I get a good fan shroud that will fit decently and is made of metal?

I will be using the V-8 to 6 cylinder radiator relocation plates to move the radiator forward of the core support.

I have the electric fan, I need to get the radiator relocation plates and the fan shroud. Where do I get them?

1 - 12 of 12 Posts