Chevy Tri Five Forum banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
190 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey guys just when to a car show yesterday trying to sell my 57 many asking why. I told them just pick up a 57 with a speedway staight axle and people think I am just nuts. granted my 57 i am selling is real nice car and they see pictures of a primered rolling body and dont understand. but the thing that most are saying is i will regret the ride. I have never driven a car with a staight axle i love the look but need to hear from you guys that have been driving them just how different is it. I would like to drive this car on some long trips to different events. My f -250 pick up has one in it I dont see a problems there i have pulled my camper on some long hauls no problems with the ride. Would love to hear from you staight axle drivers.

·
Registered
2,125 Posts
Have Driven a Straight Axle Gasser Before and its not bad. I mean compared to a Mustang two Suspension, or even the Stock 57 Suspension it is a much Harsher ride. But I akin it to driving my Lifted 2003 Silverado. I guess when you own a truck you expect it to drive and feel like a truck...Thats what I felt the Straight axle drove like.."A Truck". Not uncomfortable..just different.
My 57 Gasser lifted with taller springs and ball joint spacers is not a bad ride..Just a different ride...On wash-board roads it bounces a lot. On smooth roads, its a smooth ride!!

·
Registered
227 Posts
Depends on which end of the springs the shackle is on. Up front will be a harsher ride than at the rear. Either way, it's gonna ride like a truck. There's no easy way around it.

·
RIP: 10-27-2018
3,279 Posts
Don;t let delusional thinking get in the way, It will ride like a box of rocks.

·
Administrator & Tech Articles
50,371 Posts
In the end, its up to you....However, I'd keep that beauty Bill.

·
Registered
3,209 Posts
i think it's all in the "tuning" of the leaf springs. if the ride is to harsh, remove a leaf or two. Shock absorber tuning can help alot. Also the longer the leaf springs the less harsh the ride quality. leaf springs are just like coil springs. they both need tuning to get - right.

JMO, but there are some out there that just bolt stuff on, if the result is not what was expected then the bolted on stuff is "BAD". ALL modifications will take some kind of tuning.

·
Registered
3,085 Posts
As long as it is set up right, "tuned" as ClassicGary says, it will drive just fine unless you go with real skinny front wheels and tires then it'll be a handful or two. It isn't going to ride like a car more akin to a truck, a little harsh. If you want a smooth ride keep your car and sell the gasser:rolleyes::) I've had two straight axle frontend gasser type cars, one a '57 sedan delivery the other a
'64 Nova. The '57 rode and drove like a lumber wagon because I was young dumb and stupid when I built it, the Nova drove and handled just fine though the ride was stiff or even a bit harsh depending on road suface.

I dislike naysayers..."try it you might like it, Mikey":)

·
Registered
48 Posts
I have no complaints about my Speedway set up. I dont think it rides any different than a lowered car. People lower cars everyday and think its cool. They are just scared of the unknown. The only thing I hate is when people ask "Why did you put hydrolics on it?" People.

·
RIP: 12-31-2011
2,893 Posts
A swing arm harley will ride smother than a rigid frame harley. But the swing arm will never beat the cool of a rigid frame. The ride is bouncy but cool. A gasser with an axle up front is the same thing. You don't build it for ride but for lighter weight, weight transfer, and cool looks! The ride can be made pretty nice by doing some little tricks. Shackles in the back of the springs. Take the springs apart and remove any sharp edges. Round the ends of the leafs where they ride against each other. Use sliders in between the leafs.(there is a product sold in a roll for street rods) Use good spring bushings with lots of grease. And use a shock from a car about the same weight as a trifive. Sometimes you can use the original shocks. All of this will give you a pretty nice ride. Not as nice as an independant front end, but nice enough that you won't lose your teeth and your kidneys. Use a good seat too.
Rick

·
Registered
227 Posts
I believe longer leafs would help "somewhat". I know the speedway ones are short. They are actually Model A springs if I remember correctly. All said, it shouldn't be too terrible as it is now. Drive the wheels off it and have a blast!!!

·
Registered
210 Posts
I'm just about to get my recent import on the road, the car has a '57 truck axle up front with same steering box. I've renewed all the bushings, greased all joints, made sure the springs are running free, checked the tracking and done everything I can to eliminate any wander at speed, basically gone through the whole front and back suspension to try and make the car handle as good as possible. I've never owned a Gasser before so I don't know what to expect, I know it's not gonna handle like a standard car and I except that, I guess something has to be sacreficed to make the car look so cool?
I'll let y'all know in a couple of days time, I'm awaiting a reg number from my local office so I guess I'll get back to you then.

A lot of hard work has gone into my '57 over the last 3wks so I hope it all pays off, I'm planning on driving it 4hrs South to one of the biggest events here in the UK in 2wks time, fingers crossed all goes to plan.
Micky T.

·
Premium Member
1,798 Posts
Love that "Competition Orange" color -

Nice lookin' Gasser Candyman! Good Luck on getting your ride through reg and getting to the Cruise! Post some more pics and info when you get a chance! :wavey:

·
Registered
2,125 Posts
I have lived in the UK for 4 years and your Main roads are terrific..You should have no problem...well except for all the people starring at you as you head down the rode..Sweet looking 57 you have there!

·
Registered
190 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
I'm just about to get my recent import on the road, the car has a '57 truck axle up front with same steering box. I've renewed all the bushings, greased all joints, made sure the springs are running free, checked the tracking and done everything I can to eliminate any wander at speed, basically gone through the whole front and back suspension to try and make the car handle as good as possible. I've never owned a Gasser before so I don't know what to expect, I know it's not gonna handle like a standard car and I except that, I guess something has to be sacreficed to make the car look so cool?
I'll let y'all know in a couple of days time, I'm awaiting a reg number from my local office so I guess I'll get back to you then.

A lot of hard work has gone into my '57 over the last 3wks so I hope it all pays off, I'm planning on driving it 4hrs South to one of the biggest events here in the UK in 2wks time, fingers crossed all goes to plan.
Micky T.
Thanks you must be excited your car looks real nice. P.S. I woulnt go with the white walls looks to good the way it is. let me know after that ride. good luck

·
RIP: 12-31-2011
2,893 Posts
Man that is awsome! No wonder you're looking for new tires.:party0031:
Rick

1 - 18 of 18 Posts