Chevy Tri Five Forum banner
1 - 20 of 51 Posts

·
Premium Member
8,509 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm getting ready to cover my new garage floor with SOMETHING, but in other Threads I've read so many horror stories, i.e. Epoxy Coatings won't hold up as advertised, comes up after tire sitting in one spot for a while, and Race-Deck or similar flooring shifting or coming apart and can't be welded on, etc.,etc.

So, I was just wondering has anyone ever considered simply staining their Garage Floor like they do concrete floors in new homes.

Since my shop floor is new and just curing out, I believe applying stain now would resolve most those issues. However, I've searched the forum for anything I could find on "STAINED Floors", and was unable to find any mention of anyone ever staining a garage floor, so If anyone out there has had any experience or success with that process, I'd appreciate your input. thanks, BDR :cool:

·
Registered
7,334 Posts
I'd recommend checking locally for a company that presses designs in and stains the cement at the same time, although I think they add color while the cement is still wet.

·
Registered
3,056 Posts
My brother-in-law just had his new homes garage floor stained and sealed this past spring/summer. The company matched his outside stone work and the floor now looks like big slabs of granite. And the company has a great guarntee on the top sealer

·
Registered
585 Posts
I just did my garage floor in a acid stain. It looks great but is a pain if you have never done it before. There are waterbase stains but from what I have heard they don't penetrate the concrete like the acid does. Also I believe the concrete has to cure a certain amount of time before you can stain it.
BB

·
Registered
3,056 Posts
With acid etched stain the color actually absorbs into the concrete that is why it is used in commercial floors, it won't lift or peel. Non acid etched stain is good for usually residential inside low traffic areas like basement floors, covered patios, concrete countertops and such, most such stains/finishes are not recommended for use on garage floors.

·
Registered
85 Posts
I have done many floors for guys over the years and it all comes down to one thing. Prep prep and prep. The floor must be cleaner then you think. Even with new concrete you need to go through a good prep process. sweep the floor out to remove all dust and dirt. Wash the floor down with a concentrated mix of TSP and hot water. Scrub the floor with a new push broom and rinse with hose water. Let dry and repeat except with a less concentrated tsp solution. Garage coatings break down into three suitable products.
a. epoxy
b. stain
c. polyurethane enamel

All are good if applied properly. Epoxy is the most expensive and poly is the cheapest. If you are not an epoxy fan then I would suggest an acid stain. It overcomes alot of poor prep work, but it will show things water spots, spills, that happened before application. Even with a good wash and scrub it still sometimes comes through into the color coat. You also need a good mask with charcol filters as acid stains emit chlorine gas when curing. Epoxy and poly don't do this. Whichever way you go, prep well and things will go alot better for you. To test new concrete get a piece of clear poly from Home depot and tape it down on the floor sealing all edges. Give it a few days and check for any condensation forming under the plastic. If you have moisture in there it means the floor has not cured yet and cannot be coated. If you don't have any, you are good to go.

·
Registered
151 Posts
Like mentioned, the prep work is MOST important. I just used a concrete sealer with a gloss. Cleanup from oil/dirt/etc. is easy. If you do it to fresh concrete you should never have to worry about a stain in the slab. Add some lighting and clean white walls and it looks great!

·
Registered
32 Posts
VCT floor

I'm in the process of tiling my garage right now ..my floor is in less than stellar condition so it should be interesting. My friend did it a while back and he is supper picky and has not ripped it up yet. He welds, cuts and jacks on it. The only problem he had was with his mid rise lift, and a 3 sheets of Alum. to roll on fixed that.

you can see pics of it here below. I'm going with 4 sq feet white/black I think 1 x 1 is too busy. be sure to poke around in the site, cool jet motor !!

http://www.t53ss.com/gallery.html

http://www.t53ss.com/otherprojects.html

·
Premium Member
8,509 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Tile looks good...

I'm in the process of tiling my garage right now ... I'm going with 4 sq feet white/black I think 1 x 1 is too busy. be sure to poke around in the site, cool jet motor !!

Cheven, I like your idea going with 4 x 4 rather than 1 x 1, also, what type of tile exactly do you plan to use, self adhesive, or something else? I'd bet the tiles will be lot easier to apply and repair too when necessary.

Do you have a brand name or web-site you could direct me to so I can check it out? Also, appreciate all the input on this topic, got my head spinning now for sure... :confused0006:lots of good ideas to consider. :tu

·
Registered
951 Posts
I plan to go the tile route as well. Gonna use self adhesives.

For those of you that have already used tiles, did you fill in the expansion joints in your garage?? I would think you have to, otherwise you would get cracks etc.

I think I saw some self adhesives at the Dollar Store or Big Lots before for pretty cheap.

·
Registered
811 Posts
I'm getting ready to cover my new garage floor with SOMETHING, but in other Threads I've read so many horror stories, i.e. Epoxy Coatings won't hold up as advertised, comes up after tire sitting in one spot for a while, and Race-Deck or similar flooring shifting or coming apart and can't be welded on, etc.,etc.

So, I was just wondering has anyone ever considered simply staining their Garage Floor like they do concrete floors in new homes.

Since my shop floor is new and just curing out, I believe applying stain now would resolve most those issues. However, I've searched the forum for anything I could find on "STAINED Floors", and was unable to find any mention of anyone ever staining a garage floor, so If anyone out there has had any experience or success with that process, I'd appreciate your input. thanks, BDR :cool:
I used Kure-N-Seal 30 on my floor. It's a sealer, about $110 for 5 gallons.:tu

·
Registered
32 Posts
tiles

I have ARMSTRONG "Polar White" (see link to it below) its the whitest white (in my opinion) Remember, the floor is a light reflector, too dark, or too much black and it will suck the light right out of your palace !! I would go all white if didn't get a few 100 feet of black cheap so I only had to lay out 200 bucks for over 600 square feet (plus glue) List price is .59-.79 a square foot but if you know a floor guy,or check builders supply places it can be had cheaper. I would NEVER use "lick and stick" (peel and stick) I used to have rental properties and people would use those when they wanted to off a property and spruce it up, its .030-.040 thick at best? I have seen it peel in a kitchen, i can't even imagine what it would do under adverse conditions in a garage? That being said, the Armstrong tiles are a full 1/8 " !! thats pretty darn thick !! where my lift rollers will be I'll be inlaying 1/8" stainless (no rust) so the tiles won't be damaged by the steel rollers, and the plates won't shift. The adhesive is Roberts (home depot 5 gallons $36 ) I bought a VCT tile cutter on e-bay pretty cheap, it needed new bearings but I'm pretty handy so it was an easy fix. But they can be had ready to use for 50-100 depending on condition, age bla bla bla. The VCT cutter is more of a "snapper", its not like ceramic, but it kind of breaks it. Also, take the wife and hit some garage sales and buy a cheap toaster oven, big enough to fit a 1 foot tile, if you have stuff to cut around or slopes, irregularities in the floor, it makes them nice and flexible. I'm in the process of filling in the cracks in the floor now but should be throwing it down soon ......for the cracks, Home Depot has a leveling compound, its in a red bag, and self leveling, but I trowled it out and feathered since my concrete is really bad.

http://www.armstrong.com/commflooringna/product_details_toolbox_magnify.jsp?item_id=47192

The views and opinions contained herein are those of Cheven and are just that, "opinions" skill levels, floor conditions and other factors can change your results, but if you can build an awesome car, you should be able to handle it :)

·
Registered
585 Posts
Cheven, I like your idea going with 4 x 4 rather than 1 x 1, also, what type of tile exactly do you plan to use, self adhesive, or something else? I'd bet the tiles will be lot easier to apply and repair too when necessary.

Do you have a brand name or web-site you could direct me to so I can check it out? Also, appreciate all the input on this topic, got my head spinning now for sure... :confused0006:lots of good ideas to consider. :tu
My brother in law did his with self adhesive tiles & regrets it. The problem he has is when he pulls in his jeep or any other car with hot tires from driving & turns his wheel on the tiles they pop or shift.
BB

·
Premium Member
8,509 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 · (Edited)
Thanks!! Your advice will certainly help in my decision

I have ARMSTRONG "Polar White" (see link to it below) NEVER use "lick and stick" (peel and stick) That being said, the Armstrong tiles are a full 1/8 "!!thats pretty darn thick !! The adhesive is Roberts (home depot 5 gallons $36 ) I bought a VCT tile cutter on e-bay pretty cheap, Also, take the wife and hit some garage sales and buy a cheap toaster oven, big enough to fit a 1 foot tile, if you have stuff to cut around or slopes, irregularities in the floor, it makes them nice and flexible. for the cracks, Home Depot has a leveling compound, its in a red bag, and self leveling, but I trowled it out and feathered since my concrete is really bad. http://www.armstrong.com/commflooringna/product_details_toolbox_magnify.jsp?item_id=47192

The views and opinions contained herein are those of Cheven and are just that, "opinions" skill levels, floor conditions and other factors can change your results, but if you can build an awesome car, you should be able to handle it :)
Hey, Cheven, lot's of good advice to consider in my decision which way to go. I want my Garage and Floor to really look nice, and I only want to do it once, so all this information you and others have provided is really going to help me accomplish that. I especially appreciate you taking the time to spell out your experiences, good and bad, with solutions.

(I also like your disclaimer too !! :rolleyes: :sign0020:)

Take care, BDR:cool:

·
Registered
674 Posts
well i ordered 2.5 kits from epoxy-coat on wednesday. i debated grinding my concrete slab but since it has never had a car on it, it's free of grease and oil and has no paint on it. so i'm going to acid etch it twice. once should be fine but i figure twice is better and will only delay the project 1 more day.

of course i will post pix of the process and final results. cost was $950 including 23 pounds of flake for $160! i should have 1000 sq ft of approx. 13mil thickness. tiles are just too expensive for 1000 sq. ft. i cannot justify spending 3G or more for a garage floor, no matter how cool i want the mancave to be. :sign0020:

1 - 20 of 51 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.