Chevy Tri Five Forum banner

41 - 44 of 44 Posts

·
LS Tech and Moderator
10,431 Posts
Drill bit quality is a factor too as far as cut and being able to resharpen.

·
Registered
917 Posts
Stainless Steel is tough cutting. I usually use a cut-off wheel in my angle grinder. I buy the diablo wheels at Home Depot. They are only .040 thick and minimize the heat. They cut stainless very well.

If you are drilling in stainless, cobalt bits are the trick, as high speed steel bits will just burn up almost instantly. The key to getting cobalt bits to last in stainless, is to use very slow speed and very high pressure. I can usually get at least 10 holes in 1/8" stainless before I have to stop and sharpen the bit.
Most saw blades will burn up pretty quick trying to cut stainless, especially 300 series alloys.

·
Premium Member
12,336 Posts
Discussion Starter #43
Stainless Steel is tough cutting. I usually use a cut-off wheel in my angle grinder. I buy the diablo wheels at Home Depot. They are only .040 thick and minimize the heat. They cut stainless very well.

If you are drilling in stainless, cobalt bits are the trick, as high speed steel bits will just burn up almost instantly. The key to getting cobalt bits to last in stainless, is to use very slow speed and very high pressure. I can usually get at least 10 holes in 1/8" stainless before I have to stop and sharpen the bit.
Most saw blades will burn up pretty quick trying to cut stainless, especially 300 series alloys.
I just learned all of that by trial and error (mostly error) only recently. Yesterday I cut the stainless hinge I'm installing a little shorter with my hand grinder and a cut-off wheel the same way you described. It cut pretty fast. Trying to cut a long straight line with it (like I did with a band saw instead) is always a problem for me though.

I'm going to have to check around for some of those cobalt bits the next time I have to drill some of that stuff again. I did check for some carbide bits a little bit, but couldn't find any in the small size I was looking for (about 1/8").

Anyways thanks for the tips.

·
Registered
917 Posts
I finally threw in the towel and bought an entire set of cobalt bits, and got rid of my HSS ones. I spend a lot less time sharpening my drill bits now!:sign0020:

My HD carries cobalt bits, but they only carry in 1/16" increments. I almost never replace a bit, I just sharpen them, but I have snapped a few off, especially in the smaller sizes. I work with enough stainless that it was worth the investment to buy a full set of drill bits.

41 - 44 of 44 Posts