Chevy Tri Five Forum banner

Stainless Steel Tube - Filler Sections

2K views 8 replies 6 participants last post by  Old Buzzard 
#1 · (Edited)
Alright I give up!.....Where can one find SST tubing to make custom runs from the thermostat housing to rad inlet. Using short sections of hose/clamps to complete the connection.

I've seen this COOL detail done to custom cars but through all of the catalogs I've put my hands on nothing jumps off the pages indicating such.

#4 · (Edited)
#6 ·
SST tubing

Thanks for the info and leads everyone....sorry for the long delay in my response of gratitude!

The heat shrink hose clamps is an awsome and clean look. Except for electrical heat shrink I didn't even know this stuff existed. Does it really seal as well as the old stand-by worm drive hose clamps?

#8 ·
Absolutely correct - one of my employees' husband is a kenworth mech and informed me that is factory and auth repair now. I was asking his thoughts about the tube and shrink setup last month. One thing he pointed out is make sure that the rubber hose ends are long enough to accomodate any flex in the alignment! They have ran into problems where the tube is almost touching the radiator nipple and leaks would develop 15k miles after service. Shortening the tube and increasing the rubber solved. Also make sure the tube is not just cut - should have a bead on it! there is a beading tool that looks like a tubing cutter for this.

Rubber motor mounts, rubber radiator brace pucks and nominal frame flex coupled with vibration equals movement that MUST go somewhere or the shrink clamp will be expected to take it all! And it won't. Kinda WAGging that the rubber length should be 5 min with 1.5 inches on the tube. Giving two inches of hose to act as vibe insulator.

#9 ·
Just put a heater hose adapter and water valve in my 55/LSX combo, using the shrink bands. Work great! We have used them on several street rods, too. NP so far!

I have the NAPA pt # conversion for several sizes, should NE1 be interested.
Not expensive.. AIRC, the 5/8 size is a bit over $2/ea.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.