Chevy Tri Five Forum banner
1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
185 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Ok have a small block chevy motor with an eldebrock small 4 bbl carb(500cfm)i think. Idles fine. Went out for the maiden voyage out of the driveway and when i press the gas it stalls. Not sure what the issue is. Any suggestions?

Thanks mike

·
Premium Member
5,232 Posts
Adjust the air mixture on the carb. :anim_25: bowtie-trifive :gba:

·
Premium Member
2,508 Posts
Squirter.

Insure the accellerator pump is delivering a healthy pump shot.

·
Registered
185 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Went online and readjusted the mixture while not running. I screwed the adjuster in all the way then backed both out 4 1/2 turns, no difference. Guess i will have to pull fuel line off and see if the pump is pumping fuel or not.

Also found out my steering box is bleeding fluid like a stuck pig. But that is another thread and another question

Mike

·
Administrator
66,188 Posts
Take the air cleaner off, look down the throat of the carby, pull on the acc pedal & see if it squirts fuel down, could be your floats are low too

·
Registered
1,553 Posts
^^^^^^^^^^ ENGINE OFF!^^^^

Do the accel pump check with the engine off, a back fire could be bad!
also check your timing, if retarded, it will cause a flat spot off idle,
set the timing with vac advance disconnected.
my guess would be accel pump,

·
Registered
15,587 Posts
I recommend to adjust the carb mixture screws with the eng.running and warmed up.Connect a vacuum gage to manifold vacuum and adjust each screw to obtain the highest reading,not once but 2-3 times c/w and ccw.Adjust the idle speed afterwards.Hope this helps,adjusting with the eng. running will give you better accurate readings and settings.:anim_25:
Big Bob:flag4::bowtieb:

·
Registered
185 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Ok will try today with it running. I thought not running as i was having a hard time keeping it running. I will also try retiming it as well. This all came off a running car, motor, carb and dist. Was pulled out as one unit and put into the 57. But who is to say it was done right. I have found a bunch of stuff that was finger tight that i thought would have been final tight, including my power steering hoses.

Well off to do battle with the ol girl. Hope she is in a better mood today

Mike

·
Premium Member
5,232 Posts
Check for a vacuum leak as well. :anim_25: bowtie-trifive :gba:

·
Registered
185 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Ok some more info. When i initially started the engine i was using a makeshift gas tank with a large water bottle. That was then connected to the fuel pump then up to the carb. It ran fine. I could pump accelerator and it would rev. Would continue to run till it was out of gas. Now it was being gravity fed to pump as the bottle was on fender. It is a brand new carter pump.

So i checked to see if i was getting a good squirt of fuel in carb. Got nothing. Thought maybe i was not pumping fuel. Originally had 1/2 tank of gas. Bumped it to 3/4 then just added another 5 gallons to bring it close to the 16 gallons. Figured maybe i need a full tank to prime the fuel pump. I also took the fuel line off carb and put it in a bucket and turned over the motor. Did get fuel so i know i am pumping fuel. So then would this be a float issue, i mean it was running good with the bottle hooked up. I am stumped

Mike

·
Administrator
66,188 Posts
There is a float arm inside the carby that shuts off the fuel once the bowl is raised to the correct level.

Could also be the pump I`m leaning more towards the fuel bowl doesnt have enough fuel in them.

keep us posted.

·
Registered
185 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Kinda thinking that as well. Really did not want to pull it apart as i have never done so. I have read some posts, and watched some you tube videos, maybe i will beg my buddy to do it for me. Lol

Mike. Will kepp ya posted

·
Registered
1,268 Posts
If I understand correctly, you could rev it on the bottle, but when hooked up to the actual tank you had problems. If this is so, I would guess you might have an obstruction on the fuel sock in the tank. Fuel pump went south or you might have an inline fuel filter between the tank and the pump that might be clogged.

·
Registered
185 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
If I understand correctly, you could rev it on the bottle, but when hooked up to the actual tank you had problems. If this is so, I would guess you might have an obstruction on the fuel sock in the tank. Fuel pump went south or you might have an inline fuel filter between the tank and the pump that might be clogged.
Well there is no inline fuel filter as of yet, brand new tank so i don't think the sock would be blocked, new sending unit and sock, i took the fuel line off yesterday and cranked the motor and gas came out so i guess fuel pump is working but maybe not putting out enough flow? Gas tank is vented but maybe i will try taking the gas cap off. Maybe it is not venting properly.

Has a friend stumped as well. He will be over next week if i dont get this figured out

·
Registered
185 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
Givin up. Still cant't figure out the problem. Gettin the tow truck sent out next week to town it to a shop to look it over.

Gotta get it runnin soon so i can get it to the heated garage before snow flies

·
Registered
646 Posts
I'm betting on the Acc. pump either not hooked up or working internally. Take the air horn off but disconnect the linkage and fuel line 1st of course. I'm wondering if it's not seated or the spring isn't there or maybe something is missing inside. It doesn't seem that a low fuel pressure situation would cause it....:anim_25:

·
Registered
185 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
Thanks Rich, will try that when i get off my 8 day rotation on the road. This is what sucks about this job. Gone 8 days every other week. Blah! But it is a job and it is paying for the toy :0)

Mike

·
Registered
646 Posts
Thanks Rich, will try that when i get off my 8 day rotation on the road. This is what sucks about this job. Gone 8 days every other week. Blah! But it is a job and it is paying for the toy :0)

Mike
I understand your problem Mallard. I spent over 20 years on the road which made it almost impossible to even try to plan anything. Good luck to you :flag6:

·
Registered
185 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
Got the car back runnin lime a champ. Must have been a bad carter fuel pump because they put a new fuel pump in and bent some hard fuel line to the carb for me. Runs good now. They also found some kinked brakelines that i did not catch. And they also found my inop brakelights. Think they did a good job, still kickin myself for spendin 500 for someone else to do the work. Hate that part but love that it is running
Mike

1 - 20 of 21 Posts