Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
224 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi Y'all,

I finally started the resurrection of my '57 Sport Sedan this past Friday by ending its time as one of the shelves in the garage! Ten years sitting in one place is way too long!

The '57* has been in the family since before it was even purchased. My maternal grandfather bought it new from his nephew who was the owner of Mayes Chevrolet in Pompano Beach*; the only options were the Powerglide, low-end radio, and back-up lights, but no heater (installed in Atlanta the next week). In '61, it was sold to my great-uncle, whose son wanted it painted red (which was done badly). In '63, my grandfather bought it back and it sat in the woods in Sandy Springs (GA) where I would sit in it and pretend to drive. It sat there until '76 when it got "restored" (poorly), then it sat in a carport until '82 when I got my license and started driving it.

I wrecked the car in front of my high school in the fall of '82, rebuilt the 283 in the summer of '83, did the bodywork and got it painted in '84, installed Super Bell discs up front in '85, installed a 350/TH350 in '86, replaced the stock diff with a 3.23 posi out of a Trans Am in '87, installed Vintage Air in '88, rebuilt the 350 in '93, rebuilt the TH350 in '94, and haven't done much else since then. Around '00, the intermediate clutch thrust bushing went out, leaving the TH350 with only 1st and 3rd gears. In the middle of all that, I shattered a driveshaft (1-2 shift), the original diff's gears (1-2 shift), had a radiator blow up in front of 1000s of people in Ft. Lauderdale during spring break. Since '00, it has sat and gathered dust.

Over the years had numerous old dudes tell me "You will sell that some day, I will pay you ______ for it" (insert ridiculous lowball price), had two wives (now exes) repeatedly demand I get rid of it, and raised a teenage son pretty much by myself. Now I'm at a point where my time is mostly my own and I'm young enough (44) and finally have enough extra $$$ to do pretty much what I want. So, I will!

Short-term goals include a Keisler 5-speed kit installation and a SRS PRC radiator setup. BTW, I have nearly every original piece I ever took off the car, except for the exhaust and front drum brakes.

That's enough for now!

-Shawn

*I don't name my cars -- they're "The '57," "The white car," "The blue car," etc.
*I had the original stamped-metal dealer plate until 1983 or so, when my grandmother decided it was not worth keeping because of some minor rust and tossed it out in one of her cleaning binges.

·
Administrator & Tech Articles
50,366 Posts
Shawn....Welcome to TriFive :sign0016: Enjoyed your story.....Would like to see more photos, as soon as you can.

·
Registered
4,984 Posts
Good for you shawn, hang on to that 57 ! It has too much family history from day one to be in anyone elses hands. Not many know the entire history of there tri- fives in that much detail. Good luck on the resto and post some more pictures when you can.

·
Premium Member
1,401 Posts
Great story Shawn, Glad you kept the car. Looks pretty good from what you can see of it.

·
Registered
1,075 Posts
Go for it!!

Shawn, Make it YOUR ride and be proud of it. I'm sure you will do it up right and keep it forever. Good luck. Charles :wavey:

·
Registered
66,287 Posts
:hello: hi shawn and welcome. good to have you here and nice intro. very cool to have it in the family since day one. :party0031:

·
Registered
2,485 Posts
:sign0016: to Trifive.com Shawn. Love to see some more pics of your '57. Its always great when a Trifive stays in the family. :tu

·
Registered
224 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
Thanks for the welcome, folks!

I know Y'all wanna see some more pics, but these are the only ones I have readily available on the web...

1986, Daytona Beach (lowered 2.5" in front and 1.5" in the rear soon after these pics):

2009, my garage:

The front end is more messed up than it looks. In '97, the car was sandwiched between two trucks and the front fenders, hood, hood bars, and grille bar were trashed. The left fender is rather wrinkled.

I have plenty I've taken over the years, but haven't gotten around to scanning 'em.

-Shawn

·
Registered
5,129 Posts
Welcome Aboard Shawn! the members here are a wealth of information and experience with these beautiful cars..i too look forward to seeing your build:)

·
Registered
19,595 Posts
WELCOME

:sign0016:to trifive Shawn:wavey: Nice intro story... Later, Dave

1 - 20 of 23 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.