Chevy Tri Five Forum banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I changed my 700R4 for a Tremec with a 168 tooth flywheel on my ZZ430 engine. Will my mini starter that I used with the 700R4 work with the new setup? I bolted it on and it does not look right. I am using the Quicktime bellhousing with the block saver plate. I do not have the old flex plate to compare. I am also using Dougs headers too.

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Well I gave it another shot to no avail. The starter pinion shaft is hitting the ring gear, Needs to move outward about 1/2 inch . The starter is a Delco10455702 that I believe came with the zz engine. Wish I had bolted the starter on when just the flywheel was on. If for no other reason just to check tooth contact/backlash.

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
OK.I think I found something out. GM states that the 10455702 starter is for 12 & 3/4'' flywheels. This starter has only 2 mounting holes. I need a starter that has 4 mounting holes.

·
Registered
38,586 Posts
The ZZ4 starter is not the aftermarket mini starter that I assumed you had. In my mind it's not a mini starter.

If your block doesn't have a third hole that forward of the other two, then your only choice is an aftermarket mini starter. But I'll bet it has the 3rd hole.

In that case a starter for a 168 tooth flywheel is what you need. If you go to the auto supply and buy one for a 95 Chevy pickup with a 5.7 it should work and be a good starter choice. The mid 90s Chevy starter is a permanent magnet, gear reduction starter, like the aftermarket mini starters, except it should be more powerful and you can buy one anywhere if you need one. It will have two diagonal mounting holes where your present one has two holes 90* to the length of the engine.

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Rick, I think there is a third hole forward of the hole close to the block. Sorry for the confusion on my starter. It looks like a mini starter to me compared to the starters from the past. I will try the auto parts store tomorrow. Thanks for the help.

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Rick, I picked up that 95 chevy starter at Advance Auto today#96206. They did not have the mounting bolts. Checked NAPA online. They do,#BK6561560. Installed it with a couple of temp. bolts. Works great. And it is smaller than the Delco that I had, so header clearance was not a problem. And I can get it at any parts store. Its a win-win deal. Thanks for your imput.:shakehands:

1 - 11 of 11 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.