Chevy Tri Five Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
104 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have a 55 with a 265 and powerglide. The starter works great when the engine is cold. It drags or turns very slowly once the engine is hot. Let it cool and it spins fast and starts right up. It is about to go to the shop to have the oil pan pulled and cleaned. I would like to address the starter issue while I have a lift. What is the common cause for it dragging? Brushes or something else?

·
Premium Member
5,232 Posts
Brushes probably. It could be the rotor. You will need to pull the starter to remove the oil pan. The repair parts are not that expensive. :anim_25: bowtie-trifive :gba:

·
Registered
1,178 Posts
My old 54 Chevy truck did that... Most will tell you its the heat off the engine causing that.... a "hot starter" problem.... the fix was a shield to protect it from the engine heat. This isn't gospel but that's what I remember...Peter... Someone else will chime in..

·
Premium Member
2,508 Posts
Armature shop in town?

If the starter needs reconditioning, and it looks like a good ol' USA made unit, it might be wise to hang on to it, and not turn it in as a core.

If there is an armature shop in your town equipped to perform rebuilds, have them fix yours. Once it's right again, it will spin the 265, hot or cold.

JMO

·
Registered
37,254 Posts
One of the things that happens is that the bushings in the starter nose and end plate are not renewed in a cheap rebuild.

"Heat soak" issues are over rated. Usually the starter just needs a thorough rebuild.

If you have an old school starter/generator shop in your area, they should be able to help you out. The other thing is that you need a good battery, good battery cables, and your entire starter circuit (wires/connectors/neutral safety switch/ignition switch) needs to have no faults and minimum voltage drop.

The other thing about hot starts is that too much initial ignition timing will slow down a good starter when the engine is hot. So you might experiment with a little less initial ignition timing.

·
Registered
3,102 Posts
Don't overlook the possibility of a weak battery.

The battery in my '57 was 8 years old. A few months ago, I went out for a good long drive. Shut it off and restarted it a minute or two later - or, more precisely, I tried to.

Finally, the starter turned just enough to start it. Whew!

I went straight back home, and grabbed my engine code reader and its optional battery tester. Sure enough - the battery was on its last legs.

Funny thing is - it would start when cold just fine, so you'd think the battery would be OK.

·
Registered
5,144 Posts
Might not be the starter that's the problem?
I'd throw the battery on a charger to top it up for
starters(no pun intended:)).If the battery continues
losing it's charge I'd check out the charging system (alt.\gen.)
Another thing that could be the problem is just
a loose fan belt that drives the alt\gen..:anim_25:
Usually when starter brushes are shot the starter won't
do anything when the circuit is closed to it.When it happens
this way the simplest way to check it is by turning on the
headlights and closing the ignition circuit;if the headlights
stay bright you've got an open circuit in the starter.Usually
by giving the starter a firm rap you can get a couple more
starts out of it before servicing.
Next time you try starting the engine and the starter becomes
sluggish while turning it over shut the engine down and climb
underneath the car and give the starter a rap with a hammer