Chevy Tri Five Forum banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
38,740 Posts
First thing, what flywheel are you going to use? The 168 tooth flywheel gives you more torque than the 153 tooth flywheel, all else equal.

If you are going to use an old school starter, I'm not sure if they even made a "high torque" starter for a 153 tooth flywheel from the factory, though you could build one. You can identify an old school high torque starter by looking at the solenoid area. On a standard starter, there is a copper lug coming out of the top of the case that makes an electrical connection to the lower contact on the solenoid. The copper lug lines up with the front of the solenoid. On a high torque starter, the copper lug is 3/4" forward of the front of the solenoid, and you have to use a copper sleeve over the connecting bolt to make contact.

On the other hand, a quality mini-starter will have more torque than an old school starter, even a high torque one. Mini-starters have permanent magnets and gear reduction, both increase the torque.

But probably better yet is a late model permanent magnet starter. These are built in the same manner as a mini-starter (permanent magnet and gear reduction) but they are a bit bigger and more powerful. I know 2 applications that will work at the auto supply. For a 153 tooth flywheel, ask for a starter for a 95 Camaro Z28. For a 168 tooth flywheel, ask for a starter for a 95 Chevy pu with a 5.7L or bigger engine.

·
Registered
1,137 Posts
I thought the increased tooth count on a 168 tooth flywheel was due to the flywheel diameter being larger, thus adding more teeth. With that said,
i also thought the tooth spacing, depth, etc. are the same, just differing diameters and starter teeth match either one? I've never bought a starter based on flywheel diameter, although the 168 tooth flywheel was used on higher torque engines and most likely is a heavier duty started.
I have a starter on my sbc w/153 tooth flywheel that came off a bbc 168 tooth flywheel and the teeth seemed to mesh correctly. Maybe I better check it again, now I'm confused!

·
Registered
38,740 Posts
The starter nose, the piece that actually bolts to the block (or to the bellhousing if you have a 55-57 starter), is different for a starter for a 168 tooth flywheel vs. a 153 tooth flywheel. The 168 tooth starter has a diagonal bolt pattern (2 bolts) for fastening it to the block. The 153 tooth starter has a straight across bolt pattern (again 2 bolts). There is no interchange between them at all as far as complete assemblies. But you can interchange nose pieces. That's why you can build a high torque 153 tooth starter even if the factory didn't.

·
Registered
1,137 Posts
the starter that was on the bbc (168 tooth) I had in the car was an aftermarket high torque and it bolted up to the sbc 153 tooth with no issues , it has two sets of mounting holes. It must be made for use on either?
The bbc had a turbo 400 168 tooth flexplate and the sbc has a muncie 4 speed with 153 tooth flywheel. Perhaps that makes a difference?
guess it doesn't really matter so long as it bolts up!

1 - 8 of 8 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.