Chevy Tri Five Forum banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Ok well the 210 i just bought has been sitting and wont start. It trys to slowly turn over but never fires. What are the first things i should check or do to try and get it to fire?

·
Administrator
49,962 Posts
If it has sat for that long i`d pull the spark plugs and spray some lubricant in the heads and let that set for awhile first. I`d use a diesel/trans fluid mix myself.
Terry

·
Administrator
9,086 Posts
I would first put a little wd 40 in each cylinder and let it sit overnight then put in new spark plugs , points, coil etc then start it.

Next after it runs for a while I would change oil and filter etc.

otis

·
Registered
30 Posts
I'd lube the cylinders too, but last time I used Marvel Mystery oil. Let it sit overnight then turn it over by hand. Several of my friends use Trans fluid, they all seem to work ok. Good luck.

·
Administrator & Tech Articles
52,894 Posts
Probably has bad gas in the tank, after sitting that long.....Have you drained it all and put in fresh?

68,758 Posts
all great info, do everything that has been mentioned. :anim_25:

·
Registered
1,140 Posts
It depends on where it sat and how long. If it was in a cold climate and sat unheated for more than a couple years I would pull the heads to be on the safe side.Cylinders have a tendency to get rust rings and if they are bad enough,they can snap a piston ring easily.
I know the first impulse is to get it to fire but I have seen many motors that have sat for years and they were fired up,,only to have a piston seize,,or start puking oil. Intake/head gasgets are cheap and when you have the heads off ,you can really see what you are dealing with. JMO

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Thanks everyone! I'll let you know what happens in a couple days. Im gonna start by doing what kab said.

·
Registered
4,141 Posts
Do whats been said and also once you get it to turn over, make sure you have fresh oil in it and turn it over without firing at least until you have oil pressure. You can do an IV setup for the gas with a jug and some gas line running to the carb.
:anim_25:

1 - 10 of 10 Posts