Chevy Tri Five Forum banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
226 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Alright, I have finally made some room in the attached garage (3 car) to allow me to rotate the 55 Belair 90 degrees and therefore give me alot of area around the car to work on it. I have a bunch of parts I will be installing that I have purchased over the years and want to do most all of the installs at one time. It will be a slower process, I'm not going to get in a hurry, I'm just going to enjoy upgrading the car with the parts I have bought and even do a few more things that I haven't bought yet.....A/C is one for sure!
Anyway, the question for today is......who makes a auto trans. pedal assembly for the 55 chevy that might work and look better than what I have now....which is the stock manual pedal assy. with the clutch pedal spring removed and the pedal lying on the floor board and the carpet over the top of it? I didn't even know until 6 months after I bought the car that the clutch pedal was still there! I'm glad it is really, in case I ever want to go back to a manual.
It has the 700R4 in it and one of the things I have to fix is the TV cable (or valve in the trans) is stuck and won't move.....I can't depress the gas pedal hardly at all, so I haven't driven it in a while!
The motor and trans will come out also for some serious detailing and the addition of side motor mounts and other things as well.
I will be posting any progress pics here as well and I am looking forward to any input on all I'll be doing.
Back to the brake pedal issue, I know Ecklers Has a kit where I can turn the small manual brake pad into the power brake pedal pad. That might be the way I go, but I also would like to know what else is out there and if anyone has an experience they would love to share!
Thanks everyone for helping me along!

·
Registered
226 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
Does everyone just use the stock brake pedal when running a auto trans in a car originally made for the manual trans?
I would really like to know what some other members have done here so if you have any comments or suggestions, they would be greatly appreciated.
Thanks.

·
Registered
1,425 Posts
:) Cliff, I would look at the Billet or Lokar web sites for the larger brake pedal.

I have a Billet brake pedal in my '56, after removing a Muncie 4-speed and putting in a 700r4 and taking the clutch assembly completely out. Works and looks great.

Don, aka.....the hamsman

·
Registered
413 Posts
Cliff, I pulled a complete assembly out of an old 80's something Buick and adapted it by redrilling the mounting holes in the right place for ped travel. Works Great with no problems. See Picture.

Joe

Attachments

·
Registered
6,486 Posts
Cliff,
Just remove the clutch pedal and use the original brake pedal.
Jim

·
Administrator
49,960 Posts
Back to the brake pedal issue, I know Ecklers Has a kit where I can turn the small manual brake pad into the power brake pedal pad. That might be the way I go, but I also would like to know what else is out there and if anyone has an experience they would love to share!
I added the power brake pedal billet cover to my regular brake pedal.
Does everyone just use the stock brake pedal when running a auto trans in a car originally made for the manual trans?
I would really like to know what some other members have done here so if you have any comments or suggestions, they would be greatly appreciated.
I built an aluminum plate to bolt to the back of the new pedal that sandwiches the small pedal between the 2. It works great.
Terry

·
Registered
226 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 · (Edited)
Thanks guys! I really appreciate the info and I'll let you know how it goes when I get something for it. Tomorrow I'll be removing the frt. clip and hopefully get my pictures put up here!
Thanks again!

OK, here is a pic before I started pulling it apart!

Bumper is off.

·
Registered
226 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
We got the front clip off this morning, and I will make a list of what should be done in order to do this. It was grand central station this morning at my house, too many people coming by for different things.....one visitor was very welcomed....he brought me a large check to start an addition on his home!:party0031:
I wanted to take pics of each individual step/bolt removal but had to just do it, I didn't want to tie up my buddy that was helping me (any more than I had already!) for too long. Here's a couple of pics of us next to the "Hot Rod" now! It looks kinda weird without the front on it.
I'm trying to figure out the timer on the camera, this is cge55 (Cecil) another member here, after I joined I got him to. We will be doing some upgrades on his car soon as well.

I finally figured the camera timer out so I could get in the pic!:D

Next I will be pulling the motor & trans so I can see why the TV cable is sticking on the 700R4 trans. I will be installing my side engine mounts as well.
I'll keep the pics flowing with all of this!

·
Administrator & Tech Articles
52,858 Posts
I took the stock pedal and modified it to accept the stock power brake pedal pad

·
Registered
226 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Thanks Pops!
I think thats what I might be doing also, maybe the Billet Specialties one or Lokar unless I find a deal at the fall Moultrie or Daytona shows!:D

1 - 10 of 10 Posts