Chevy Tri Five Forum banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
117 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Well guys & gals, it's been a while since I've been around. I need some help again...go figure that huh? :) I am trying to get the 56 started. I had removed the ignition switch long ago and made a diagram of the connections at the time. I got my diagram out a while back after finding that the 55 shop manual doesn't exactly match what I have. Mostly due to a brown wire verses a blue. No big deal but it was also connected to the acc post and not the ignition 1 post. Anyway, I am having a problem with the starter engaging when I turn the starter switch to the on position, no need to turn to the start position. I have the wiring in the correct config. I think I have narrowed it down to the wiring in the 3 way connector or the connections in the switch itself. Anyone ever had this or heard of it? Sounds like a short to me. How can I bypass the connectors to start it....hot wire it. I wouldn't make a good car thief

Rog

·
Registered
117 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks for the wiring schematics. I actually already have those. I was hoping someone would have had the problem of the starter engaging as soon as the key is turned to the "on" position in the past or had heard of it. Also looking for a way to get past it for now. I just need to get the car started for now without the starter being engaged.

Rog

·
Trifive Automotive Electrical Wiring Expert
27,084 Posts
Mostly due to a brown wire verses a blue. No big deal but it was also connected to the acc post and not the ignition 1 post. Anyway, I am having a problem with the starter engaging when I turn the starter switch to the on position, no need to turn to the start position.
Rog
Is your car automatic? Is there a violet wire on the ignition switch?
If it's standard shift, it should have a violet wire on the "SOL" terminal of the switch that goes to the starter solenoid to crank it. If it's auto, it may have a blue wire that should be on the "SOL" terminal that goes to the neutral sawety switch, then to the starter solenoid.
It sounds like the starter "sol" wire (blue or violet) is on the "acc" terminal instead of the pink wire.
The terminals are labled on the back of the switch. Brown wires to "ign1" and green wires to "ign2".

·
Administrator & Tech Articles
52,805 Posts
Rog.....As Don says, the rear of your switch should look like this:

·
Registered
117 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Yep,

That is exactly what the back of the ignition is wired like. Problem is ....... it cranks in that config. What I have done this morning to get around it is to disconnect the solenoid at the starter then turn the key on and touch the contact from under the hood. Still, it's not right and I thought maybe someone else had experienced this.

Rog

·
27,084 Posts
brown wire verses a blue.
Rog
You mentioned a blue wire???? :confused0006:
Where is it connected and is it automatic? Do the accessories work (radio, heater) ? If it's automatic, the neutral safety switch could be wired wrong.

·
Registered
117 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Yes, The car is an automatic. The blue wire that connects to ignition 1 came from the 55 shop manual, page 6y-48. I do not have a blue wire. I have a brown wire that connects to ignition 1 and appears to come from the same harness. I do have the pink wire only on the acc post. Everything looks right to me but I still get the cranking problem. Maybe the ignition switch is toast? Radio and heater are out but the dash lights that work come on.

Rog

·
Registered
117 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
WOW!

Don,
After looking that your last post. I went AGAIN to check my manual on page 6y- 48 and sure enough it says that there is a "dark blue" wire connected to the ignition 1 post on the ignition. I got to thinking that I have another shop manual so I dug it up and looked on the same page. Low and behold it has the same pictures on the same page with a "brown" wire shown. How weird is that?! And yes they are both 55 chevy car shop manuals. I do not have the copyright date on the one that shows the blue wire but the one that shows the brown wire is 1954. Is this maybe a earlier release? Maybe early vs late 1954? Pretty crazy. In neutral or park doesn't seem to matter. But will not start in gear.

Rog

·
27,084 Posts
Rog, to test to see if it's the switch or some place in the wiring, take the purple wire off the "sol" terminal of the switch and use a test light or meter to see if there is power on the "sol" terminal in the on position. It should only have power in the start position.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts