Chevy Tri Five Forum banner
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
122 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I HAVE A DELPHI 600 STEERING BOX ON MY '55 AND IT WAS INSTALLED WITH SOME TYPE OF HOME BUILT ADAPTER. DOES ANYONE KNOW OF A WELL ENGINEERED ADAPTER PLATE THAT IS AVAILABLE THAT UTILIZES THE ORIGINAL MOUNT HOLES IN THE FRAME AND IS NOT TOO THICK AS TO CAUSE CLEARENCE PROBLEMS WITH THE LEFT EXHAUST MANIFOLD. THANKS IN ADVANCE. :gba:

·
Administrator
49,481 Posts

·
Registered
37,246 Posts
The problem with that plate is that there is no real cure. The centerline of the steering box's input shaft will be too far inboard, as shown in the photo in the link.

You could try to shim the box so that the end of the input shaft lines up. But with a rag joint or single u-joint, the column shaft/input shaft is going to have a spot where it binds (pretty badly too).

The other half of the too thick plate is that it moves the box closer to the exhaust header or manifold, and that will cause clearance problems for almost all.

In short, this won't work right with the plate. You need a CPP box, or a Borgeson box.

·
Registered
4,551 Posts
I HAVE A DELPHI 600 STEERING BOX ON MY '55 AND IT WAS INSTALLED WITH SOME TYPE OF HOME BUILT ADAPTER. DOES ANYONE KNOW OF A WELL ENGINEERED ADAPTER PLATE THAT IS AVAILABLE THAT UTILIZES THE ORIGINAL MOUNT HOLES IN THE FRAME AND IS NOT TOO THICK AS TO CAUSE CLEARENCE PROBLEMS WITH THE LEFT EXHAUST MANIFOLD. THANKS IN ADVANCE. :gba:
Does this mean that it is already installed and working on your car or are you concerned with the clearance to the manifold and it is not yet operable.

As Rick stated for the money and ease of installation you will be farther ahead with the CPP 500 box, so you may want to consider that option first. Everything needs to align just right or it won't work properly.

·
Registered
122 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
OK, AS I STATED IN MY ORIGINAL POST, I HAVE A DELPHI BOX INSTALLED ON MY '55 NOW. IT WORKS WELL BUT I DO NOT CARE FOR THE HOME MADE MOUNT THAT IS USED TO MOUNT THE BOX NOW. I'M TRYING TO LOCATE A WELL MADE ADAPTER THAT WILL LET ME INSTALL MY BOX ON THE FRAME USING THE ORIGINAL MOUNT HOLES. I WOULD CONSIDER RECESSING THE PLATE INTO THE FRAME TO OBTAIN THE CLEARENCE NEEDED AT THE MANIFOLD. I HAVE DONE THIS ON EARLY FORD FRAMES IN STREET ROD APPLICATIONS TO ELIMINATE CLEARENCE ISSUES AND IT WORKS WELL. I'M JUST TRYING TO LOCATE A WELL DESIGNED MOUNT PLATE.
THANKS. :gba:

·
Registered
37,246 Posts
Will, that Ebay plate is used on the outside of the frame to stabilize a 605 box. The 605 has factory holes that line up with the plate. There aren't any factory holes to bolt to on a 600 box.

flash, could you post a photo of what you have now?

·
Registered
3,734 Posts
OK, AS I STATED IN MY ORIGINAL POST, I HAVE A DELPHI BOX INSTALLED ON MY '55 NOW. IT WORKS WELL BUT I DO NOT CARE FOR THE HOME MADE MOUNT THAT IS USED TO MOUNT THE BOX NOW. I'M TRYING TO LOCATE A WELL MADE ADAPTER THAT WILL LET ME INSTALL MY BOX ON THE FRAME USING THE ORIGINAL MOUNT HOLES. I WOULD CONSIDER RECESSING THE PLATE INTO THE FRAME TO OBTAIN THE CLEARENCE NEEDED AT THE MANIFOLD. I HAVE DONE THIS ON EARLY FORD FRAMES IN STREET ROD APPLICATIONS TO ELIMINATE CLEARENCE ISSUES AND IT WORKS WELL. I'M JUST TRYING TO LOCATE A WELL DESIGNED MOUNT PLATE.
THANKS. :gba:
I think you're going to have do that your self, make a plate. The existing plates just do what yours does now, generally 2 bolt patterns, one for the frame and one for the box. And they scoot towards the engine slightly

·
Registered
4,551 Posts
If everything works now and is aligned properly you may have to make your own and try and hide the bracket since you don't like the looks of what you have. The thing about the cpp500 box is it fits to the frame and uses the original holes. Since the box you have doesn't use the factory holes you will always need an adapter bracket and which ever one you use you will still be able to see it.

Another to consider if you recess your frame you may through off the proper alignment to the steering shaft.

·
Registered
37,246 Posts
If your mounting plate looks like CPP's mounting plate and it's just too thick for the box to line up with the steering column, it seems that all you need to do is make an inset into the frame to accept the plate. Actually that's quite a lot of work.

Personally I wouldn't go to that trouble, I'd just get a CPP box and bolt it on. And then let someone else figure out how to use that box on their car.

It is essential for the input shaft in the box to be in line with the steering column shaft. It's not good enough to just shim it to where the ends meet and have an angle between the box's shaft and the column's shaft.

·
Registered
1,108 Posts
Here's cpp's, Is this what you have? That is a Dephi 600 (Jeep box) with an adaptor plate
This is exactly what I have from CPP and was told "it will fit fine, a bunch of guys bought these and are using them with no problems." Then I found out it doesn't fit and I have to buy a 500.

·
Registered
122 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
OK GUYS, THANKS FOR ALL THE RESPONSES. SLIM, THAT IS THE BOX I AM PRESENTLY USING AND IT DOES WORK FINE. JUST DON'T LIKE THE HOME MADE ADAPTER. ZBAD55, AGAIN, IT NOT AS MUCH ABOUT THE WAY MY ADAPTER WORKS AS HOW IT LOOKS. RICKL, I HAVE NOT YET FIGURED OUT HOW TO POST PHOTOS. WISH I COULD LEARN THAT. RICKL, THAT IS WHAT I NEED, ONLY I NEED ONE FOR A DELPHI 600. TOBTECH, WOULD YOU CONSIDER SELLING YOUR ADAPTER PLATE OR POSSIBLY SEND ME A GOOD TRACING OF IT INCLUDING THE MOUNT HOLES? THE HOME MADE ADAPTER I AM PRESENTLY USING IS ABOUT A QUARTER INCH THICK AND I DON'T HAVE ANY STEERING COLUMN ALIGHMENT PROBLEMS. I REALLY HATE TO BUY ANOTHER BOX WHEN THE ONE I HAVE WORKS AS GOOD AS IT DOES. MUCH RATHER USE THE $400.00 ON OTHER PARTS. THANKS AGAIN TO ALL WHO RESPONDED TO MY PROBLEM. :gba:

1 - 14 of 14 Posts