Chevy Tri Five Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
215 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
OK, this is another one of those "pretend that I don't know anything about anything" questions that I tend to ask quite often lately.

I would like to know if there is a good choice of headers that will give me enough clearance with a cpp500 steering box. I will be installing a 350 with the front/side mounts in my '55. I've read most of the threads concerning this and haven't come across a definitive answer. Some headers seem to give a little clearance, like an inch. Then again, how close is too close? Touching, of course, would be too close. Would the torque of the engine ever be an issue? I assume that there isn't a heat issue.
Thanks, Rog

·
Registered
4,575 Posts
As for headers there are some different brands that will clear but it depends on a few things. Do you still have the frame horns on the vehicle, if not you can run mid length headers. I run full length hookers under the frame horns and I have about an inch of clearance to the box, but my hearders run closer to the ground. Hooker has a set I think part #2112 that will work.

As for engine mounts you don't need front and side mounts, one or the other. But you will need a crossmember for the trans and I beleive the torq of the engine will leamn it to the passenger side so no worries there.

·
Registered
13,436 Posts
OK, this is another one of those "pretend that I don't know anything about anything" questions that I tend to ask quite often lately.

I would like to know if there is a good choice of headers that will give me enough clearance with a cpp500 steering box. I will be installing a 350 with the front/side mounts in my '55. I've read most of the threads concerning this and haven't come across a definitive answer. Some headers seem to give a little clearance, like an inch. Then again, how close is too close? Touching, of course, would be too close. Would the torque of the engine ever be an issue? I assume that there isn't a heat issue.
Thanks, Rog
I have a CPP 500 box, William's full-length headers and William's weld-in side engine mounts. Williams headers require the removal of the original frame horns for the rear engine mounts. I also have the CPP pitman arm, center link and am using a ZZ4 oil pan.

It's a tight fit but I made it work fine. I set my engine about 1/2" forward and 1/4" to the right of stock for the best fit. The areas that are all close are at the header to steering box, header to pitman arm, header to idler arm and center link to oil pan. I did clearance the casting on the steering box for a little extra room there. I also ended up with a heat problem and burned up 2 p/s pumps before I installed a fluid cooler and now that's fine.

You want to mock up everything in place before welding in your engine mounts. Remove the balancer from your engine and use the original front mounts to help as a guide in placing the engine then discard the mounts when done.

·
Administrator & Tech Articles
55,430 Posts
1 - 6 of 6 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.