Chevy Tri Five Forum banner
1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Was looking to change my stock steering to power, tripped over this sight, I purchased my 56 bel air 2 door hardtop in 1967 my senior year in high school for $295.from the original owner and have kept it all this time . I am interested
In getting the project moving to a resto mod. Have been reading all the posts on steering conventions, the more I read the more confused I become. I feel a 500 power steering is the way to go but some say you must change this arm or that arm, this part or that part. On a budget but don’t want to sacrifice to much on steering. May be rob Peter to pay Paul. Can the original column be modified easily or is it a definite column change? These are the sort of questions I’ve got. Anyone got the patience or inkling to help?

·
Stainless Trim Restoration
10,726 Posts
First thing is that you cannot make this conversion and maintain the factory column shift for a 3 speed. There just is no room at the bottom of the shortened column for the shifter arms.

On an automatic, the whole column can be purchased to maintain the original appearance. There are kits that come with this already done if you are not the most handy with cutting and welding etc.

Welcome to the site.

Mikey

1 - 2 of 2 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.