Chevy Tri Five Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
143 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I Am Sure The Problem With Getting Headers To Fit With A Stock Steering Box With A 350 Small Block Is Not New To Many Of You So Help Me Solve My Problem. I Have A Set Of Hooker Headers That I Was Told Would Fit, But Noooooo!!! They Hit The Steering Box And Will Not Bolt Up. How Much Clearance Is Needed To Allow For Engine Torque And How Is The Best Way To Modify The Header Tube To Give Me Clearance? I Started With Some Block Hugger And They Were Not Even Close. I Used A Hyd Press To Adjust Them, But Without Any Luck. So I Bought These Hooker And They Are Better, But Still Not Clearing. I Know I Could Change Steering Boxes, But I Would Like To Leave It Stock. Any Suggestions Would Be Welcome.

·
Senior Member 4 Gold Stars
4,460 Posts
I have heard several guys say they had to dimple the header to clear the box. It depends on how much it hits? If it just a little, the dimple trick should work. If I were going to do it, I would use a piece of oak dowell rod and hit the dowell as opposed to the header direct.
As far as the engine torquing, it will torque away from the box under power.

·
Administrator
49,367 Posts
I have a set of the patriot headers on mine and they clear the stock steering box by 1/8"-1/4". It`s still close but does clear. But i also think they vary from set to set from what i`ve heard. Of course then i did have starter clearance issues with them that had to be addressed. Terry.
http://members.cardomain.com/chevman57

·
Registered
3,647 Posts
We used Hooker long tube in the past and they too fit just fine. I think my son has a ceramic set that he would sell if your interested.

·
Registered
381 Posts
Steering box clearance to headers

You've got something weird going on in that car. Stock steering boxes should clear the Hooker Super Comps or the Hooker Comps and especially the standard Hedmans for a Tri-Five. Double check your mounts to be sure the engine is centered, that the front mounts aren't compressed too far.

All early-style SBC heads from the factory share fundamentally the same dimensions from the machined surface on the intake side to the exhaust port flange bosses. I am referring to the original SBC's, not the LS family which is a totally different engine.

Something's not quite right, or you don't have a stock steering box.

In order to install the Super Comps in mine, Dart Pro 1 heads and 605 box, I judiciously used a body hammer and dolly to gain the clearance on 3 and 5 cylinders.

Paul

1 - 6 of 6 Posts