Chevy Tri Five Forum banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
54 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
this is my first time on this site & thought id give it a try.

im building a 55 chevy gasser, i cut the subframe off right in front of the original steering box. (that way it is still in the stock location, with the bolt holes allready there)

im getting my straight axle through speedway & my question is :

Can i use my stock steering box or what should i do ? Im on a budget.

thanks for all your time & help:sign0020:

·
Registered
7,361 Posts
Welcome to trifive! I'll let the gasser guys answer your questions.

·
Registered
48 Posts
I used my stock box. I used one and a half sets of the steering arms. I used one on top on the driver side pointing back to meet up with the drag link and the other two on the bottom of the spindles pointing forward with my tie rod there. I have the "straight" axle with no drop and have no problem with bump steer or anything.

·
Registered
54 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I used my stock box. I used one and a half sets of the steering arms. I used one on top on the driver side pointing back to meet up with the drag link and the other two on the bottom of the spindles pointing forward with my tie rod there. I have the "straight" axle with no drop and have no problem with bump steer or anything.
thank u for your time, was your steering box in the stock location on the frame ?

Love your car, hope to get pics posted soon

·
Registered
48 Posts
Yes. Steering box is in the stock location. Good luck!

·
Registered
3,216 Posts
how about a few more/clearer pictures ?

·
Registered
227 Posts
pullen65gto,
Are you saying that you retained the stock draglink, idler arm, and one tie rod connected to the driver side spindle? I had pondered doing this on mine, but decided to run my draglink from the pitman to the right side spindle like a F*rd ( crossover steer ). If you have any pix of this, I'm curious to see it done.

·
Registered
3,216 Posts
pullen65gto,
Are you saying that you retained the stock draglink, idler arm, and one tie rod connected to the driver side spindle? I had pondered doing this on mine, but decided to run my draglink from the pitman to the right side spindle like a F*rd ( crossover steer ). If you have any pix of this, I'm curious to see it done.
I did it that way, stock steering box, stock drag link, stock idler arm (with a bearing kit), a second gen Camaro tie rod end at the pass. side of the drag link, a straight piece of tubing tapped 11/16" fine, and a '50 ford truck/pass car tierod end into a steering arm with 2 holes sourced from Speedway Motors. My axle is straight, no drop, and uses F1 (ford pickup) spindles. Pass car spindles can also be used. I'll get some pics today and post 'em this evening.

·
RIP: 12-31-2011
2,893 Posts
Since you cut the frame you might consider using a late model box with cross steer. I'm using a GM 525 box from a camaro with a 57 power steering pitman arm. I then used the 57 tie rod ends to connect the pitman arm to a 57 steering arm mounted to the top of the spindle and pointing forward. The angle of the drag link when looking down at it doesn't matter as long as it doesn't bind when going from lock to lock. However it's very important to keep it paralell with the axle.

I like this setup because it's simple and opens up the whole area where the steering box is from the factory.
Rick

·
Premium Member
8,575 Posts
Depends on Application....

Yes, if you're going with a high boy look and straight axle, then you can use your stock stearing gear box, I had this setup with a straight axle for more than 30 yrs, so younster, I think you can do it, it's your preferance... best of luck to you, BDR:cool::tu

·
Registered
54 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
I can believe all the help on here & how nice everyone is, thanks for all your time & help,
Dave

p.s as soon as i figure out how to post some pics i will:party0031:

1 - 13 of 13 Posts